We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time possible visitor to Curacao

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
488 posts
254 reviews
Save Topic
First time possible visitor to Curacao

My boyfriend and I are contemplating a caribbean vacation next February and we are narrowed down to Grand Cayman and Curacao. I wondered, as I understand that February is part of the rainy season in Curacao, how that would affect any outdoor activities and whether mosquitoes would be a major issue, since I seem to attract them here in the U.S. Thank you all for any help in our decision making!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
92 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time possible visitor to Curacao

February is the end of the rainy season and should not affect your vacation too much. Toward the end of the rainy season it is normal that there are only showers and mostly at night. There are some more mosquitos, but it is also the start of the windy season, which makes it harder for mosquitos to actually land and bite you.

And obviously, you should choose Curacao :)

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time possible visitor to Curacao

Curacao for sure!

Remember, also, that the Caymans can get chilly in February.

Steady temps in Curacao all year long.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,206 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time possible visitor to Curacao

We have been to both islands many times. First compare airfare and hotel rates for both. Curacao is less expensive, we lose money in Grand Cayman.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
488 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time possible visitor to Curacao

Thank you all for your input! I've got some research to do and appreciate the advice! (And between us, I'm leaning toward Curacao, so now I may have the information to sway my boyfriend!)

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time possible visitor to Curacao

Rain in February is not an issue at all. Like this February we hardly had any rain of significance.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time possible visitor to Curacao

In several visits over the years, we have had a whole day of rain only once.

Showers usually pass quickly and are sometimes even refreshing.

Virginia
Level Contributor
969 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time possible visitor to Curacao

We visited Curacao at the end of Jan-early Feb this year and had a couple of very quick showers. Otherwise the weather was great and the humidity seemed down. I was bitten a few times around my ankles while my wife had none. Odd since bugs usually prefer her to me.

NEW JERSEY
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time possible visitor to Curacao

A "Rainy Season" in Curacao??? Oh no! we tabled Costa Rica for that very same reason*

I 'm looking at Curacao or Barbados for a Honeymoon October 2013. -

I thought that ABC Isalnds were out of the the hurricane belt and rain should not be an issue_?

Please advise what months are th erainy season in Curacao_? Seems there is no place in the Caribbean where rain is not a factor to consider - or is there?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
109 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time possible visitor to Curacao

Just returned a week ago. Beautiful weather-only rained a total of maybe an hour & that was only 1 day. It was very windy-don't know if thats normal & I don't remember Aruba being that windy. We did experience mosquitos. My calves looked like I had chicken pox! Don't know if you plan to snorkel or not but if you do--it is absolutely great here. Do your reseach-- I figured $100 a day for us (2) & we ate breakfast & lunch at the house. Some days we spent more, some less.

Rented a car from Just Drive & I'd recommend them to anyone. It was $414.00 cash for the week for a Toyota Rav4. We stayed in Westpunt so needed a car.

I've never been to Grand Cayman so can't comment on that.

Have fun

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time possible visitor to Curacao

Our rainy season is from october to begin of January and it normally means some rain at night.