We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car for part of our stay

Which Curacao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car for part of our stay

Since we are staying at Sunscape (arriving on a Saturday), and transfers are included, we think we want to wait a day or so before renting a car. We enjoy spending our first full day at the resort relaxing, drinking, eating, drinking, snorkeling, playing, drinking some more....you get the idea.;-) So, my plan is to rent a car on Monday and return it at the airport on Friday when we leave. Based on everything I've read, I have decided to rent from Just Drive. My question is.... will they drop the car off at Sunscape and pick it up at the airport? And does it cost more to do it this way? Does my plan make sense or should we just rent it for the entire stay, picking it up and returning at the airport (knowing that we won't use it until our second full day)?

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,129 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car for part of our stay

Your plan makes sense, but email Just Drive for your questions

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car for part of our stay

Your plan makes sence. Best is to mail Just Drive. But from what I can recall from comments on Just drive in this forum they will bring the car to the Hotel and will pick it up at the airport.

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car for part of our stay

Yes - no extra charge to drop off at your hotel and you can drop the car off at the airport.

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car for part of our stay

Thanks everyone!

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car for part of our stay

I've been thinking about this further...as I'm always looking for a way to save a buck! My plan is for us to visit Willemstad the first day we have the rental car (Monday), but it looks like we have 2 good options of getting downtown without a car....free shuttle provided by Sunscape or the public bus for $1.50 each. That being said, should we just use one of these options and wait until Tuesday to rent the car? Does it make sense to pay for a day's car rental just to go downtown? Just wondering if there is a benefit to having the car if the only place we plan to go that day is downtown. Can we easily walk everywhere? Has anyone taken the shuttle provided by Sunscape? How often does it run? Will they bring us back of will we need to take the bus back?

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car for part of our stay

Does anyone have any advice about this? I'm just wondering if there's a good reason to drive ourselves to Willemstad, or does it make better sense to save a day of paying for the rental car and just take the bus or shuttle downtown?

Also, a related question....is the better part of one day enough to spend downtown? We won't do lots of shopping, but want to see the sites (Riffort, pontoon bridge, etc.) and have lunch at Iguana Café.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car for part of our stay

Just keep in mind that you are spending thousands for a vacation. At $40/day, when does that kind of savings begin to affect the overall vacation?

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car for part of our stay

This is exactly why I am asking the question.... if there is a reason to drive to downtown Willemstad rather then take the bus or shuttle, then I want to consider that and will afford that if necessary. Otherwise, I'd like to spend that $40 on something else.

Edited: 29 April 2013, 03:01
Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,129 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car for part of our stay

We'll be there in 4 weeks and have a rental for the week, will we use it everyday, not sure, will we get our $40 a day use, not sure, but I like knowing that we have the car.

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a car for part of our stay

I like having the car available at my command LOL. Yes, a day in Willemstad is plenty. Personally, I wouldn't want to wait for a bus and being able to come and go when I want is worth 40 to me, but everyone has their own value points.