We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Snorkeling in the Caribbean.

Which Curacao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bucks County...
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Snorkeling in the Caribbean.

We are two middle age, low-maintenance beach bums (Cape May, NJ) who love snorkeling. We usually head south to the lower Florida Keys or the Caribbean mid-February. Our idea of a perfect vacation is an uncrowded place with a hot shower, quiet sleeping, decent drinks, good, reasonably priced food, no floating skyscrapers, and a beach to hang out from which we can snorkel. The idea of spending five grand a week at some froufrou place just does not cut it for us.

Our trip to Bonaire was great for snorkeling and otherwise, but the lack of any real beaches precludes a return visit (at least for now).

We have read great things about beach snorkeling on Roatan and it sounds like an ideal place for us to visit, but the number of negative online posts about the island vis-à-vis bugs, crime, and disease is enough to make us cross it off our list. We have no desire for a Rooseveltian trip-up-the-amazon excursion.

So here is the question: What are your recommendations for a place where we can hang out and snorkel directly from the beach?

To help stir the pot, here is a list of places we found of interest online but which we cannot make a definitive decision. We are not tied to any of them, so please feel free to add your own suggestions.

Anegada, BVI

Eleuthera

Providenciales, Turks & Caicos

Roatan

St. Croix, USVI

St. John, USVI

St. Lucia

Vieques

Thanks.

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Snorkeling in the Caribbean.

By reading your post I think Curacao will satisfy all your needs providing you do not mind renting a car to get to the beaches. We have plenty of beaches you can snorkle directly of the beach

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Snorkeling in the Caribbean.

I agree about Curacao - it is Bonaire with beaches and restaurants.

St Croix was nice, but less snorkeling from shore.

Turks and Caicos is on our list, but being so far north, I am not sure I would risk my vacay dollars in the winter as it can get relatively cold.

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Snorkeling in the Caribbean.

You might also consider Cozumel.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 00:35
Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
229 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Snorkeling in the Caribbean.

We, like you, are low-maintenance beach bums who are happy with good drinks and food, and we don't want to hang out with 1000 of our closest friends at a hotel pool in the Caribbean. My husband's only request for our vacation was to find a place where he could wake up in the morning, walk out the door, and snorkel. After a lengthy google search comparing pros and cons including ease of travel, expense, accommodations, and of course great snorkeling, we rented a condo (VRBO) at Playa Lagun in Curacao. Not sure why Curacao didn't make your list?

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Snorkeling in the Caribbean.

I think Curacao is on his list since he is on the Curacao forum?

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
229 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Snorkeling in the Caribbean.

I hope it is now but I was referring to the original list above which is posted on several island forums. ;-)

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,128 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Snorkeling in the Caribbean.

I agree lexmelinda, the OP didn't mention Curacao.

Cape May Court...
Level Contributor
330 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Snorkeling in the Caribbean.

We are from Cape May county also. My wife and I and now with our 2 children vacation yearly in Curacao. Playa Lagun is our favorite place to stay. You can find bungalows on vrbo, which we do. Reply if you like.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
383 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Snorkeling in the Caribbean.

The OP originally posted in the Caribbean forum and didn't have Curacao on the list. I suggested it based on the OP's criteria yesterday and now the OP has posted in the Curacao forum. I think the OP just didn't go back and physically add it to the listing.

Glenmoore...
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach Snorkeling in the Caribbean.

We have similar preferences and have booked our first trip to Curacao based on the recommendation of several friends. We went to Bonaire 3 times because of the amazing snorkeling. Anegada had the second best snorkeling of the places we've been but not sure I'd want to spend a week there. Turks and Caicos was a big disappointment. I need to preface the weather wasn't great and we didn't snorkel much. The island is very expensive and commercial. We went to Vieques in March. We loved the beaches and enjoyed the island. There was good snorkeling on Green Beach but we didn't have good luck on the other beaches. St John is a great island with good snorkeling. It has more of an American feel.

Eluethra had decent snorkeling. Nice beaches but not much in the way of bars and restuarants. We also tried Great Guana Cay which is supposed to have great snorkeling but the weather didn't cooperate. If you go to the Bahamas, go later in the spring. We were there in late March and only made it in the water twice. Let me know if you have any specific questions about any of these islands.