We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jazz Festival Logistics

new york
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jazz Festival Logistics

I'm attending the Jazz Festival for the first time this year. Aside from the information provided on the Festival web site, can anyone provide any logistical tips? What time do the venue gates open each night and how early should one go ? How is traffic to and from the venue and how long is the drive from The Avila Hotel? Are there any issues with parking? Are food and drinks available?

Any information will be greatly appreciated,

California
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jazz Festival Logistics

Avila hotel to World Trade Center near Marriott (where is the jazz festival) is about 30 min.drive over the Queen Juliana bridge. Best to inquire direction at Avila hotel also please google Curacao map with Avila hotel and Curacao World Center at Piscaderaweg. For parking and opening hours best e-mail to organizers of the jazz festival. Food at the festival is not a problem. link curacaonorthseajazz.com/en/…

Cary, North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jazz Festival Logistics

Very limited parking around that area...it's all hotel and private property. Only a neighborhood 2 lane road into Piscadera, and will be very congested area. Look for public transit; I'm sure they must run shuttle services from different locations. And view the website. Have fun, a great lineup of talent this year (and every year so far). So far this annual festival, only in its third year, is a pretty well kept secret...look out when word gets out...it will become a world class jet-setters event and difficult to get tickets.

Saint Louis...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Jazz Festival Logistics

Hi

I am going to Jazz Festival Aug 2014. Please tell me what your experience was like. What time did gates open and how early should I go? Is it just so crowded and too many people or is it not too bad? Our children are going with us - is there American food? Is it just snack bar type food? We are going to see Bruno Mars - and the pics I see is just so many people on top of one another at the stage - I'm a little concerned since there are no 'seats' that you just get pushed and stepped on?!?! Since it is standing only (I'm only 5' 3') can you see if you are a few rows back? If you wanted to be right up front in first few rows how early do you have to get there?

Thanks!!!

Edited: 26 March 2014, 01:04
Aruba
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jazz Festival Logistics

Curacao North Sea Jazz is fantastic! We went many times, and I envy you because this year we will not be there. It is a very well organized festival.

The doors open at 6:00PM. This is also the time that we are usually there. There are several parking areas. It depends on where you stay which parking area to use. There are shuttle busses that take you from the parking lot to the festival.

There is all kind of food available; chinese, fish, and I think things like hamburgers. You first have to buy a tokens to get food and drinks. If, at the end of the evening, you have tokens left you can turn them in for money again.

I would not worry about getting pushed or stepped on. The atmosphere is really friendly, with people from all over the world. I think you should be able to see also from the back rows because the stage is a lot higher, but being more upfront is of course nicer. I have no idea how long before you have to be there to be in the front rows.

new york
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jazz Festival Logistics

Jazz Fest is very well organized and comfortable. I arrived as the gates opened around 6 if I recall. I was able to park nearby at that time but if I were to ago again I would probably take a hotel shuttle just to avoid the late night drive back to the hotel. The crowd is generally older and upscale and very respectful. The stages are elevated with plenty of large screens so seeing is generally not a problem however people will be standing all around you and your view of the live stage may be blocked from time to time.. I arrived at the main stage for Prince about an hour before show time just as the previous performer was finishing up. My first position was center front but I had no problem moving around at will front, back, side to side throughout the show. In the back area of the main stage there are food and drink tents with cafe seating in the middle. Very good variety of quality international foods purchased with tickets sold near the main entrance. Not inexpensive by the way , but definitely something for everyone including cocktails and champagne served in plastic flutes! Plenty of well maintained port o potties centrally located as well. The various stage areas are quite spread out so if you are planning to see multiple artists, which you will want to, wear comfortable shoes and be prepared to walk. There is some seating at many of the stages and an additional cafe area down below the main stage cafe where you can hang out. If your kids are teens I don't think you'll have a problem - younger ones may get worn out.

Have a great time. You will be blown away by how civilized this festival is, really a world class production.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Jazz Festival Logistics

I must agree with the comments above. This will be my third CNSJF, flying in from Panama. There is definitely space for you to properly view the stage. For seating purposes, there are different sets of bleachers alongside the stage. Of course, these seats are taken well before the headliner presents. On food, there are several options, and at times they can run out of food, so plan accordingly. Getting there and out can be a bit of a hassle, so my advice is to stay in Piscadera. There are several options walking distance (Marriott, Hilton, Floris, PIscadera Harbour), although they are getting expensive as we speak due to demand. Hope you all have a great time!

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jazz Festival Logistics

Agree with all the comments of the last 3 posters. I visited all the festivals and most of the activities leading to the main event on friday and saturday. Festival is well organized, food is very good and plenty, viewing is no problem. Sound is excellent. The issue is to choose what to watch so many good options.

Parking no problem plenty of spaces. If you do not know the island explore the area a day before or during the day to know exactly where the parking lots are and to find your way back after the festival.

Doors open at 6PM and if you are there around 5:30PM you will be one of the first to get in.

Looking at the 2 closing acts this yr Bruno Mars and Mana I think both nights will be sold out. When Mana was here 2 yrs back it was packed close to the main stage.

Driving depending which parking you choose will be 10-20 min. Most parking lots are not close to the venue but busses will take you there. This is also well organized and security is present. For you parking at the statium close to the Rennaissance hotel may be you best and easiest option. They always use that stadium for parking. Parking opens normally at 17:00hrs

You will have a great time

new york
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jazz Festival Logistics

A comment on hotels. If you are in Curacao exclusively to attend Jazz Fest then I think staying in Piscadera (Marriot would be my choice here,not impressed with the Hilton) or in town ( Avila is my choice because it has a sweet little beach and good restaurants nearby and is a relative bargain)is a good idea, but if you are staying a week or more I would split the stay and spend a few nights in Westpunt closer to the best beaches,scenery and snorkeling. Kura Hulanda Lodge and Beach Club up north would be my choice.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
796 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jazz Festival Logistics

We have attended the jazz festival a few times and stay in a villa at the Royal palm resort right behind the WTC where the event is held. It is in the Piscadera area and you can sit on the balcony and enjoy the music.

We just returned from Royal palm resort , arrived home last night, and the latest Rumor I heard is that Eric Clapton will be the headliner.

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jazz Festival Logistics

Lots of rumors are there. Till now only 9 of the 22 to 24 artists for Fri and Sat are known. Eric Clapton indeed a rumor but this has been a rumor for the last 2 yrs. Let us hope this yr he will be there.

The 2 main acts so far are MANA on Fri and Bruno Mars on Sat, most probably they will be the closing act for those respective days.

With these 2 acts it is almost certain that both days will be sold out