We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report from 8/9 to 8/16

Marietta...
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip report from 8/9 to 8/16

We just returned on Friday night from our trip to Curacao, we had a wonderful time! Let me start by saying we are total beach bums, so most of our days were spent searching out different beaches, and snorkeling at each one of them. We arrived Friday night and the Just Drive representative met us at the airport, we drove about a mile down the road to pay for our rental, and to pick up our brand new Hyundai Accent, and on we went. The company is run by two young brothers, and they were more then helpful with suggestions, and directions to our villa. We made our way to our villa, located in the Boca Sami fishing village area. We settled into the home and proceeded to walk out of the back side of the house to experience the beautiful ocean view we had from our back patio. We spent most of our mornings eating breakfast there, and some of our evenings relishing the view, and the beautiful tropical surroundings. Well after we took in the view for about an hour we went to the Centrum to pick up some supplies and of course we had to buy a bottle of wine and some beer to get this vacation off to the right start!! :) The first night we pretty much just relaxed and settled in. Day two we got up early and headed to our first beach for the week, Playa Porto Marie. It was a beautiful beach with a long wooden pier that extends out to the ocean. We entered into the water at the end of the pier to snorkel to the left of it. The snorkeling was not all that great but we did enjoy the beach, and we had a nice lunch at the local restaurant located on the beach. We stayed at the beach most of the day working on our tans then drove home to get ready to eat at Steak and Ribs, at Riff Fort. It was a lovely meal, we loved the cool breeze from the ocean and the food was very good. I had a conch and shrimp dish that was super yummy! Day two we headed to Cas Abou beach. It was so pretty with the palm tree umbrellas and the beautiful stretch of white sand. Again we snorkeled to the left and we saw all types of fish, a barracuda, puffers, sea snakes, a squid and numerous other things. We were quite impressed with this beach and the snorkeling. That night we made dinner at our villa and again just enjoyed our beautiful scenery from our back patio. We also took a dip in the ocean behind out house and that was pretty awesome too! Day three we headed to Playa Lagun and Little Knip. I was a bit disappointed in Lagun, really didn't see much here and I had heard this was a good place for snorkeling. We did have a nice lunch though at the restaurant above Lagun, and between the view and all the iguanas we took pictures of, we did have a nice time! Then it was on too Little Knip, we snorkeled to the left again and I have to say this was my favorite beach for snorkeling. We saw many species of fish, and beautiful huge Elkhorn coral. We spent the rest of our day there then headed home to get ready for our dinner at the Govenour's in Otrabunda. We just loved this place, the atmosphere, the food, all just wonderful. I will tell you though they do operate on island time here, so if you are in a hurry this might not be the place for you. I had a yummy crostini appetizer there and a filet of beef tenderloin. It was all cooked to perfection! Day four was a day spent in Otrabunda and Punda shopping. We bought a few souvenirs for our kids and grandbabies, and my wonderful husband bought me a beautiful sapphire and diamond starfish necklace at Efy's. I am one lucky girl! We so enjoyed our day in town, we picked up fresh fruit at the floating market and we taste tested the curacao liquors. Didn't really care for them, but I am mainly a wine and beer kind of girl. We ate lunch at Iguana's café along the water and we thoroughly enjoyed it, and our day of shopping. Dinner that night was at home, we grilled chicken on the grill and enjoyed a beautiful sunset from our patio. Day five we headed to Grote Knip at the northern end of the island, somehow we went to far and ended up at Playa Forti so of course we had to check it out. Stunning picture opportunity's, such a gorgeous view from above and the water was just beautiful. Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be much of a beach there, unless of course we were missing something, but anyway we took lots of pictures and turned around and headed back to Grote Knip. This is another stunning beach! We spent most of our day there basking in the sun and the perfect blue water. We had a yummy lunch at the small snack stand which opened up around 12:00 that day. After a full day there we ventured onto Sheta Boka on the opposite side of the island. This was definitely worth the trip, the water was amazing! The power and furry of Boca Pistol was really something to see. We spent the rest of the afternoon there exploring the area and taking tons of pictures and videos. This would be great for kids to see. After a full day of activities, we headed to the Govenour's for another scrumptious dinner. This was definitely our favorite restaurant during our trip, so we didn't venture out to much. Day six we ended up going to our # 1 favorite beach Cas Abou. We just loved this beach for it's beauty and facilities. The snorkeling again did not disappoint, and we cherished our last day here on the island. On our way home we drove up past the Blue Bay to the salt flats on the left to take some pictures of the pink Flamingo's. That night we headed to The Riff and had a nice dinner at a little café in the courtyard of the Riff. We had a wonderful last night, relaxing and drinking a few beers with our pizza. Day seven, we prepared for our trip home. I will say our top three beaches for snorkeling were Little Knip, Cas Abou and Grote Knip in that order. Our favorite #1 beach for overall beauty and facilities is definitely Cas Abou, but Grote Knip runs a close second although they don't have the facilties. We loved Curacao and would definitely return, we are already talking about where we would like to stay and when we can go again. We know we only touched on a few things to do and see while there, so we need to come back to explore some more. Sorry this was a storybook but we had such a magnificent time and I thank all of you for answering my questions, and helping us prepare for our trip. We will definitely be back! If I can help answer any questions, please let me know.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report from 8/9 to 8/16

Don't be sorry for a storybook, it's so nice to read that new people to the island want to go back. Great you had a wonderful time. When I saw a sea snake, that was it for me, paranoid of any snake looking creatures.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report from 8/9 to 8/16

Thanks for sharing. I've just started to plan for our trip and it's helpful to read about other people's experiences and what they liked and didn't like.

Kay

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report from 8/9 to 8/16

I am glad to read that you had a wonderful time.

For snorkling dont forget to go to Playa Kalki and Santa Pretu next time which has very good snorkling. Also San Juan beach (but it has no facilities).

Virginia
Level Contributor
969 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report from 8/9 to 8/16

Very nice report...makes me eager for our next visit this fall.

Cary, North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report from 8/9 to 8/16

Great report. Happy to know you had such an enjoyable trip. Y'all come back now, ya hea! ;)

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report from 8/9 to 8/16

Great trip report. Like said above try playa kalki next time for snorkeling.

Nice to hear you enjoyed the island. We hope to see you back

Marietta...
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report from 8/9 to 8/16

Thanks for the snorkeling suggestions. I know there is so much more to experience in Curaçao, so we have to go back. We had gone to St. Martin the last two years and wanted to try something different. I am so glad we did as I liked Curaçao much better then St. Martin. Don't get me wrong, St. Martin is beautiful, but for the overall feel and vibe of an island, I personally liked Curaçao better. The beaches were stunning and like I said we are all about the beach! Can't wait to go back!

Sao Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
302 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report from 8/9 to 8/16

Many thanks for the trip report.

Can I ask you about Anguilla and Saint Barths beaches

comparing them to those found in Curacao?

I suppose you visited them when in SM.

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report from 8/9 to 8/16

Thanks for your report, Bixa. Surprised to hear that you weren't impressed with the snorkeling at Lagun. That's where we are hoping for great snorkeling and if we're lucky, spotting a sea turtle there. Might have to rethink that plan.

Glad you had a great trip and that you loved Curacao!

Marietta...
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report from 8/9 to 8/16

Danadan, it might have just been an off day at Lagun, we had heard great things about that location also, but it was just ok the day we were there. We did have some fishermen come to shore though with an awesome catch that was interesting to see.

David, we didn't go to St. Barts while in St. Martin but we did take a ferry to Anguilla. We went to Shoal Bay and it is a very beautiful beach. When comparing it to the beaches in Curaçao it is different in that it is a much longer stretch of beach, and while it was an absolutely gorgeous beach, the snorkeling was not that great compared to the beaches in Curaçao.