We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jeff's Trip #7

Cary, North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Jeff's Trip #7

Spent the entire day at Blue Bay beach...sunning, swimming, snorkeling, reading, listening to music...PRN (repeat as necessary). Beach wasn't crowded at all, and the water was crystal clear making for some good snorkeling and underwater pictures. It was funny that each time I would get my camera out in front of me to take a picture suddenly a group of angelfish and sergeant majors would show up. I guess they wanted to be in pictures...or maybe it was the bright blue color of the camera, that attracted them. Anyway, some good close ups!

Went into the Piscadera area for dinner at Sjallotte and had a good meal. One thing I like about this restaurant is the way they plate the food...always very artistic. And it always tastes pretty good too.

Trip is drawing to an end, only 1/2 day tomorrow.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
229 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jeff's Trip #7

DH's camera is bright red and he was certain it scared the fish a few times. A blue one would've been much better. Sounds like a relaxing last day. I've been shopping other destinations since we got back and I'm just not sure there's another island that offers the 1) accessibility 2) affordability 3) beauty 4) activities that we look for in a vacation. Have you traveled to other islands? What are your thoughts?

Cape May Court...
Level Contributor
333 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jeff's Trip #7

Lex, I agree except for the accessibility part. It would be great to see a few more non stop flights from major cities in the U.S. Our trip is at least 12 hours door to door from Philly. But when you get down there it is well worth it. In November we will make our 7th trip to Curacao in the past 8 years. Looking forward to dining out, relaxing on the beaches, and just enjoying the sun.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
229 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jeff's Trip #7

True...non-stop would be nice but there don't seem to be non-stop flights to any island from our area. I was happy to get a reasonably priced one-stop flight from Cincinnati. We actually considered driving to Charlotte to fly Insel. It's cheap but only flies on Saturdays and traveling that distance, we wanted to stay longer. There are some occasional direct flights to Cancun from Cincinnati but I have no desire to go to Mexico and sit at an all-inclusive for a week. It's just not our style. It's also fairly easy/cheap to get to the Bahamas. I went to Nassau on a cruise once and didn't like it....street vendors bugging you to buy stuff. I was happy I didn't see that in Curacao. (Not meaning to highjack your thread, Jeff! Sorry!)

Cary, North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jeff's Trip #7

It's interesting that this trip, and perhaps the last two or three we've been on, the flights from Miami to Curacao, and reverse were slam-full. In fact yesterday's flight home was looking for 3 volunteers to give up seats due to overbooking. MIA to RDU are also always packed. And the price has doubled over the last three years. We used to be able to go RDU/MIA/CUR round trip for about $320 PP, now it's about $600. Looks like two opportunities here: 1. For AA to add another flight, and 2. For one of the bargain airlines to jump on a lucrative route.

Melinda, before we discovered Curacao 10 years ago on a whim to use Marriott points and AA points, we went to St. Kitts, Nevis, and Jamaica. Hated the "yeah-mon" mentality of Jamaica, and always being hustled for something to buy (even on a private AI beach), and wouldn't go back for free. St. Kitts/Nevis was very upscale and luxurious ( including prices), but not the good restaurants or beaches that Curacao has. Once we found all that Curacao has to offer, we looked no further. This is were we want to be. Only regret is that we didn't make an investment in a owned property sooner, but still early on the growth curve to get in on appreciation.

MO
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jeff's Trip #7

when are you going beetle? We will be there over thanksgiving

Cape May Court...
Level Contributor
333 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jeff's Trip #7

Fly out of Philly 6 A.M. Monday the 11th and returning the following Friday the 22nd. Me, my wife and 2 children ages 7 and 5!!

MO
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jeff's Trip #7

So jealous...only 6 days for us. Enjoy your trip!

Cape May Court...
Level Contributor
333 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jeff's Trip #7

always do....you do the same!!

9. Re: Jeff's Trip #7

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Curacao