We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of questions before our trip

Which Curacao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mattapoisett, MA
Level Contributor
668 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of questions before our trip

Hi - We leave on the 29th to stay a week at the Marriott. Can't wait. I have a couple of logistics questions running through my mind.

Can I buy phone cards there to use to call home (US) from our room at the Marriott? Or should I buy here before I go?

What kind of dress in most of the restaurants? We are not likely to be doing the expensive fine dining restaurants as we like to keep the cost down and prefer casual. On St. John we found shorts made it everywhere. How is it on Curacao?

I seem to remember that some islands do not let you bring any food with you. I like to bring some snacks with me. Will that be OK on Curacao? Maybe it was just fruits and veggies. It's been a while since we did this!

Does anyone who has stayed at the Marriott know if there is any kind of coin laundry available there? And should I bring beach towels or do they provide?

Hope these questions are OK. Thanks for any info.

Sue

Cary, North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of questions before our trip

Hi Sue,

We always just use our iPhone. You can go to the website of your carrier and sign up for an international plan starting the day you go, then cancel it the day you get home. With AT&T I think the rate falls down to $1.99/min, or $3.99 w/o the plan. If this isn't a good option for you, you can get cards locally from a couple of different carriers. Marriott has wireless, free if you're an Elite member.

Good shorts (not jeans, cut offs) are fine in any of the casual restaurants and even seen them in the fine dining places, although we always like to were something nice to dinner, but certainly not mandatory. Staying at the Marriott, be sure to try the Sjalotte right across the street. Great restaurant!

You can bring snacks, except fresh veggies fruits and meats. But no need to. There is a Centrum Supermarket a few miles from the Marriott that has about everything you would want. A great bakery with fresh breads and pastries, fresh lunch meats, snacks, fruits, beer, wine, liquor, etc. Buy some of their Gouda cheese and some crackers or a baguette and enjoy. We used to do "happy hour" on our balcony at the end of every day before getting ready for dinner. Marriott has some room refrigerators you can get free if you ask to keep your stuff in.

I believe they do have a coin laundry but never used it. They do provide nice beach towels at a hut near the pool. You'll find you spend most of your day in swimwear rather than clothes so you can just give that a good rinse in the tub.

Another tip...take a soft side cooler with you. You can take drinks to the beach in it and save a bunch of money over hotel prices.

Jeff f

Edited: 06 January 2014, 01:34
Mattapoisett, MA
Level Contributor
668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of questions before our trip

Thanks! This is all great info and just what I needed.

Sue

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
229 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of questions before our trip

If you're taking beer to the beach know that most beers require a bottle opener. Be sure to pack one in your soft sided cooler. RE: phones.....We downloaded Viber (free app) so we talk and text with the kids for free while we were in Curacao. Both parties have to have it installed. Although you can use it on any smartphone, it doesn't take a "phone" so you can use an iTouch or iPad or similar with the app installed. We also enjoyed sharing photos on Instagram and videos via Vine.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of questions before our trip

If you rent a car, in our opinion a must on this island, you can get a free phone to use from D&D and Just Drive. You just pay for the minutes and it was 1/2 the cost of using our Verizon phones.

Centrum is the main market, just remember to bring you own bag to carry what you buy. There pastries are great.

They have towels, no need to bring them.

We bring a couple of floats, $5 from Walmart, and give them to someone when we leave. Great to float while sipping a drink, during sunset, before dinner

Mattapoisett, MA
Level Contributor
668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple of questions before our trip

Thanks. You are all very helpful. We are renting from Prins so no free phone. Is there a place to rent one that might be cheaper than using our own? I think we did that on grand cayman.

One other question for Marriott people, does the voila deli and cafe have other breakfast things besides pastries? Cereal, oatmeal, egg sandwiches or such? We aren't interested in the big breakfast.

Thanks again,

Sue

Cary, North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple of questions before our trip

Voila Deli is pretty basic with their offerings, I suspect not wanting to compete with the main restaurant. Last time we stayed they did have a very limited selection of cold cereals in the little single serving boxes. They also serve a local pastry called pasteches, a dough filled with spicy ground meat or cheese (Gouda of course) that are pretty good. It's all take out, but there's a couple of small tables, or use the ones outside the Emerald Lounge. In the main restaurant, they don't proactively mention it (I guess trying to push the big buffet) but you can also ask to order off the breakfast menu, and at a much more reasonable cost.

If you have a car and feel adventurous drive out to Daniel's for breakfast one morning and try the Dutch pancakes...delicious, like a great big crepe with choices of sweet or savory toppings. My favorite has a scoop of vanilla ice cream and powdered sugar and molasses drizzled over it. We often do this stop when we get an early start on the way to the western beaches.

Aruba
Level Contributor
543 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple of questions before our trip

Install VoipCheap on your phone (see www.voipcheap.com), it works with both iPhone and Android. If you top it up for US$25, you can call (both fixed and cell phone numbers) the US (and many other countries) for free using the internet. There is a lot of free WIFI on the island. Like Jeff already wrote the Marriott has free WIFI, but also Starbucks, the Riffort, Albert Heijn, and many other places. It works great!

...and Jeff is totally right about the pancake's at Daniel's, you definitely should try them. I get hungry thinking about them :)

Edited: 07 January 2014, 00:03
8. Re: A couple of questions before our trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 06:19