We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curacao vs Roatan

Regina, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
Curacao vs Roatan

Has anyone on the forum traveled to Roatan and Curacao? We spent two weeks in Roatan last year and really enjoyed ourselves. We are interested in visiting a different destination but we are not sure if Curacao will measure up to Roatan. What are the pro's and con's of Curacao to Roatan?

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Curacao vs Roatan

Three words that would stop me from going to Roatan - salt water crocodiles. I don't care that they are endangered, I don't care that they are rare. I would be constantly looking over my shoulder snorkeling.

That, and the lack of potable water. I hate worrying that I have used the bottled water to brush my teeth.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Curacao vs Roatan

I went to Roatan recently and Curacao about 10 years ago. Returning to Curacao this spring so will share feedback when I return if you're planning something for later in the year.

Might depend on what you like to do. I love Roatan, but am very partial to quiet out of the way places. Nature, snorkeling and relaxing are my primary interest during vacation. Snorkeling in Roatan is beautiful and I love the east end, kayaking the mangrove tunnels, etc. Curacao is more developed so probably easier to get around (less steep dirt roads), but much more crowded in the main town area from what I remember. I think there is more to do out to the water on Curacao- hiking, horseback riding, dining, more nightlife.

It's been a really long time since I've been to Curacao so I don't think I can really comment on it. I'm eager to see how it compares now. The water in both places is warm and clear. We chose Curacao this year mostly based on price of flights and accommodations.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Curacao vs Roatan

@LCD, Welcome back! Curacao has changed a lot in these 10 years! :)

@TO, I havent been to Roatan, But Curacao is kind divided in 3 parts.. (and a unhabited island of Klein Curacao). One part is closed for everyone, One part is very developed (here you will find most hotels, restaurants, discos and manmade beaches). One part probably is bit like Roatan, this part is very quiet but it has the nicest beaches and best places to snorkel and dive. (north side is actually really rough a nice to visit). Most of these beaches are in small bays. The capital Willemstad is a very colonial city with many (dutch) Colonial houses (I dont think Roatan has that). There is a latin/European vibe on the island. No crocodiles here :)

4. Re: Curacao vs Roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 06:30
Get answers to your questions about Curacao