We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back From Sunscape-Questions?

Which Curacao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back From Sunscape-Questions?

Our trip was a mixed bag. The location, room, and food were outstanding as well as some of the service. The resort has some unacceptable issues which seem to our group to be easily addressed but they have yet to do so. For example: At various bars they ran out of certain liquor brands on a regular basis. They also ran out of limes a full day for drinks. Restaurants ran out of foods (the Bluewater Grill ran out of hamburger buns and nacho chips one day, and on other days ran out of chicken, cheese for nachos, and again chips). Was the resort out of these things or was it a staff issue?

Most of the staff was friendly but there were some downright miserable people working there. We tried to greet everyone with a smile and it worked sometimes but some staff could be more pleasant to the guests. Also, you could order a drink with dinner and not get it for 15 minutes (not an isolated incident). Some of the staff would be standing and speaking to each other and ignore guests waiting patiently for service.

The restaurant no reservation system doesn't work too well. People were standing in line anywhere from 1hr before dinner up until some of the restaurants (especially Himitsu) opened. Not the most optimal way to spend precious vacation time, and some guests got into arguments (which were fun to watch).

The rooms of all our group had electronic thermostats and the rooms were kept at great temperatures. The mattresses were the best hotel mattresses I've slept on. Water temp in the showers was adequate for a hot shower but its not going to burn your skin by any means. All of our rooms had nice comforters and light blankets which we could put on if we chose. Our rooms were cleaned daily and the fridge stocked.

We spoke with many of the guests who echoed the same issues that we experienced.

Don't be afraid to go to this resort. As you can see, the problems are fixable and it seems like the management is trying. I just don't understand why these issues still exist. When they get up to speed this can be a 4 star. It just isn't yet and I don't like it that Apple Vacations rated it as a 5 golden apple wen it more like a 3 apple at this time.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back From Sunscape-Questions?

Great review, thank you for posting! I understand how you are calling it a "mixed bag". Hopefully they will improve the problem areas (and problem staff). We are leaving tomorrow and totally excited about it!

Can you comment regarding the buffet vs. the restaurants? We like the choices offered at buffets but from previous posts, I get the impression the a la carte's are better?

Did you take any tours or do anything outside of the resort? Other than deep sea fishing, we don't have anything else planned and are looking for possibilites.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back From Sunscape-Questions?

You will have a great time. We met so many nice people from around the world. The location of the resort is perfect and the snorkeling in the lagoon amazing. We never had a bad meal at the a la cartes. If fact, they we outstanding! We never had dinner at the buffet but others we spoke with said it was very good. We did eat there for breakfast and lunch (most days) and found the food really good.

If they offer the tepanyaki (sp?) and you haven't eaten at Himitsu, go to the class and you get a mini-meal of the dinner. We in Chicago are spoiled with good Italian food and thought it was mighty fine (except the pizza at the buffet-but that's a matter of taste). I don't often do seafood but really enjoyed Oceana. The sunset views from the outdoor restaurants at the early seatings are stunning so bring your camera to dinner.

We took The ATV tour which is literally across the street, Curacao Buggy Adventures (Scooby Tours). We did the 9:30AM before it got too hot and loved it. We recommend bringing a bandana to cover your face from dust and good walking shoes for the light climbing to the Indian Caves. You will get waaaaay dirty so have a special bag at the resort for those dirty clothes! We also took the bus into town and did some shopping. Actually, the wife shopped and dragged me along. The trip is only 3 miles or so into town and is worth it. Prices were good there, especially on the other side of the floating bridge.

Have a great time!!!!!

Jim

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back From Sunscape-Questions?

Thanks for the report! Sounds like you a pretty good time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back From Sunscape-Questions?

We had a blast. After all, its really about the people you are with and the relaxation. I guess the problem was that we were expecting 5 golden apple accomodations and servive (and paid for it), but didn't receive it. That was disappointing, especially since our group looked to me for the trip arrangements. Just many little things that added up, but nothing was a deal-breaker by itself. I would actually like to go back in awhile to see the improvements, which I truly believe are ongoing.

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back From Sunscape-Questions?

There really aren't any 5 apple resorts on Curacao with the exception of possibly Baoase.

All in all, Sunscape has made major improvements over the previous resort that was there.

Certainly cannot beat the snorkeling in front of the resort.

PA
Level Contributor
858 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back From Sunscape-Questions?

What do you mean by the no reservation system? I assumed we could make reservations for dinner. We are going in July. Do people with preferred rooms get to make reservations? If so, I wonder if it worth upgrading?

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back From Sunscape-Questions?

No special seating times or reservations for Preferred guests.

It is first come/first served seating at the ala cartes.

We like to eat early, so being at the restaurant 20 minutes or so before opening (usually 6:30 or 7) would get you a table for first service I believe they give beepers for the latecomers. I think the problem will arrive if you want to dine at 8:00.

Delhi, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Back From Sunscape-Questions?

Do the men have to wear long pants to the ala cartes?

King, North Carolina
Level Contributor
18 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Back From Sunscape-Questions?

Hey great review, We are heading to the Sunscape in August. Any recommendations for airport transfer and beaches that are on the island? We love Seafood and are looking forward to trying something new. Thanks so much ..Rodney

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Back From Sunscape-Questions?

Hi

We were there in February and we had no problems what so ever!

Everything from staff to the food was amazing.

When there was a wait at the restaurants they gave you a beeper which meant you could go to the

bar for a couple of drinks or if really hungry a snack at the buffet.

WE went down for dinner at all times of the night and never waited longer than 40 minutes - well

worth the wait for sure!

We are definitely going back soon!