We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling Close to Santa Barbara

Philly, Pa
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling Close to Santa Barbara

I know we can't snorkel at the Santa Barbara and the best spots are about an hour away.

Are there any spots nearby we can try on days we feel like staying closer to the hotel?

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Cary, North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling Close to Santa Barbara

Caracasbaai is on that end of the island. Beach is rather coarse and rocky, but good for snorkeling. It is where the underwater park and sunken tugboat are located.

Philly, Pa
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling Close to Santa Barbara

Great thanks! I actually looked at the map and think we might be able to kayak from the hotel.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling Close to Santa Barbara

I will stay 6 days in Sunscape and 4 days in Santa Barbara. In this snorkeling guide below,that I suggest you buy this guide, you will see that Caracasbai/directors bay and tugboat are very good places for snorkeling. They are near of santa barbara. I only have a doubt about currents are strong and if it is safe crossing channel rounding caracasbai. Or if it is better cross channel and go walking to the other side of moutain -directors bay.

I hope I helped you.

tropicalsnorkeling.com/curacao-snorkeling.ht…

Sorry my English.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling Close to Santa Barbara

I will stay 6 days in Sunscape and 4 days in Santa Barbara. In this snorkeling guide below,that I suggest you buy this guide, you will see that Caracasbai/directors bay and tugboat are very good places for snorkeling. They are near of santa barbara. I only have a doubt about currents are strong and if it is safe crossing channel rounding caracasbai. Or if it is better cross channel and go walking to the other side of moutain -directors bay.

I hope I helped you.

tropicalsnorkeling.com/curacao-snorkeling.ht…

Sorry my English.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Aruba
Level Contributor
555 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling Close to Santa Barbara

It should be no problem getting there by kayak. We have kayaked there many times. The current and wind are usually from the east to the west, which means you have to go against the wind going back. This may look difficult, but usually is a lot easier than going with the wind (easier to keep direction). Just be careful when you try to land on the beach, and look for a sandy spot. If available try to get a twin kayak.

Also the waves may look high but being in the kayak that is no issue at all, as you float on top of them. Just give it a try before you go too far out :). It is also very nice to go to Fuikbaai, which is to the east from Santa Barbara. I do not know how the snorkeling at Fuikbaai is, since it has been a while since I snorkeled there, but is a nice trip by kayak and Fuikbaai is good for swimming.

Edited: 21 May 2014, 03:53
Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Philly, Pa
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling Close to Santa Barbara

Great! We will be there in two weeks!

We will definitely try to kayak there. Why do you recommend a twin kayak? are they more stable? It looks like the trip is about 20-30 minuted from Santa Barbara depending on currents. Is that about right?

I did buy the snorkeling guide. The maps in it are what made me think we could kayak over to the tugboat and surrounding snorkel spots.

Thanks for your help and any other advice is welcome

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Aruba
Level Contributor
555 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling Close to Santa Barbara

A twin kayak gets more speed and it is therefore easier to stay on track, specially if you are not an experienced kayaker. 20-30 minutes from Sant Barbara is about right, going back will take a little longer depending on the wind conditions.

8. Re: Snorkeling Close to Santa Barbara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Curacao