We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Curacao in June with young kids

Which Curacao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Honesdale...
5 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Curacao in June with young kids

I'll be spending most of June in Curacao with my two 6-year-old daughters. They are still learning to swim, so we'll mostly be snorkeling (with the aid of snorkeling vests). We'll have a car.

I've done a lot of research and have a pretty good idea what the main attractions are. I'm just wondering if anyone has any general advice based on my situation (young kids, private villa rather than resort, month-long stay). I'm not worried about finding ways to fill the time, but I'd love any suggestions about favorite activities and locations as well as logistical advice like best markets for food shopping, etc., best time of the day for snorkeling, good places to hang out in the evening, etc. Anything that comes to mind.

Thanks,

Chris

Cary, North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Curacao in June with young kids

For a month long stay I would definitely recommend renting a villa or condo over staying in a traditional hotel. You will get nicer accommodations and more space for your money, plus the added value of a full kitchen to prepare meals on those days you feel like staying in. As far as locations, we love Blue Bay Golf and Beach Resort, for its central location and it's amenities. Centrum Supermarket, one of the best on the island, is only 5 minutes, and you can be in town in 10 minutes. Although BB has its own beach and snorkeling, with a beachfront playground and kids club for the young'uns, on the days you choose to go west, beaches and attractions are only about 30-40 minutes. Going the other way, Sea Aquarium, a must for 6 yo kids, is about 1/2 hour. Since you remark that you've already researched the activities, I won't elaborate, but let us know if you have any questions. Enjoy a great visit to Curacao!

Aruba
Level Contributor
543 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Curacao in June with young kids

Agree with Jeff, Blue Bay is probably your best option for staying a month with young kids. It is centrally located and has everything you need, the beach is nice, and there is a nice pool close to the beach. My kids loved going there when they were younger. Since a lot of people with young kids live there permanently, it will be easy for your kids to make friends as well.

Cary, North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Curacao in June with young kids

Due to an unfortunate situation with too many children being unsupervised, the nice pool at the beach has been closed and filled with sand, and is now converted to a playground. Major liability issue I guess. There are still plenty of pools near the lodgings.

Aruba
Level Contributor
543 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Curacao in June with young kids

That is too bad!

Honesdale...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Curacao in June with young kids

Thanks for the very helpful responses. I did come up with a few specific questions:

* I plan to buy a family pass to the Seaquarium, so we will probably go there often. I read that there is a "dolphin kiss" that's part of the program. I assume kids line up and one-by-one they pose with a dolphin, and a professional photographer takes a photo to sell in the gift shop. Is this how it works? Are we allowed to take our own photographs of the dolphin kiss? I'm ok paying for some professional photographs, but I wouldn't want to do it every visit.

* Do we need to get tickets ahead of time to do a dolphin encounter? We're going during the low season, so I was hoping we could just show up.

* This will be the first time I'm taking my kids on a vacation like this where the beach is a primary activity. The idea of spending much of the day every day in the sun is new for us. My daughters have rash guards and hats, and we'll have sunscreen lotion for burns and so on, but is there anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks again for humoring me and my newbie questions.

6. Re: Traveling to Curacao in June with young kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 21:15
Edited: 22 May 2014, 21:15
UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Curacao in June with young kids

One thing to consider is the heat. You'll notice there won't be many people om the beach after lunchtime. Have a siesta, it breaks up the day and keeps them (twins?) out of the heat.

Aruba
Level Contributor
543 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Curacao in June with young kids

Buy snorkels and water shoes for them. A lot of the beaches have coral and small rocks on them where you enter the water. If you have a bath at home let them try on the snorkels in the bath, that is always good fun, and helps them getting comfortable quickly in the ocean.

9. Re: Traveling to Curacao in June with young kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 05:16