We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liked Curaçao so much we're returning in 2015 :)

Which Curacao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sacramento, ca
Level Contributor
83 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Liked Curaçao so much we're returning in 2015 :)

Our first trip there in April was so good that my husband and I have decided to return next Spring, sans enfants. :)

We stayed at the Hilton and quite enjoyed it, especially good with kids, but are looking to stay out towards the west end this time. We want to get away from the resorts and tourists a bit. We're looking for a studio or 1 bedroom that has a kitchen so we can cook up some feasts and not have to eat out every meal. Also desired is it be walking distance to the beach, pool nice but not required, and that it have an outdoor space where we can chill. We plan on snorkeling, reading, writing, chatting with locals and just wandering.

We really liked Lagun, so that's towards the top of our list, but I wanted to know if anyone had thoughts on the following places I've seen on TripAdvisor: All West Apartments, Mondi Lodge, Rancho El Sobrino, Blue Bay Lodges (will they be non-touristy enough?), Sun Reef Village, Flamingo Park Bungalows, or West Hill Bungalows. Knowing that these are the places that are interesting us right now, does anyone have any other suggestions?

We've got plenty of time to figure this out, obviously, but we're hoping that my sister and brother-in-law will meet us again and they are more into planning. Chances are they'll end up at the Marriott again, but we don't want to stay at a resort.

Thanks!

Cary, North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liked Curaçao so much we're returning in 2015 :)

The charm of Curacao has a way of doing that to visitors! We went on a whim in 2004 to use American and Marriott points, got hooked, and went back every April until we finally bought a place at Blue Bay in 2011. Now it's grown to three trips a year.

I can't speak to most of the properties you mention, but you've got the right idea in looking to rent a place vs. staying in a hotel. I can say that the Blue Bay Lodges are there primarily to cater to golfers...fairly small studio apartments on the golf course between the second and ninth hole. Rather, take a look at the properties listed on bluebay-curaçao.com, which are the vacation oriented properties managed centrally by the Blue Bay Golf and Beach Resort hotel operation. Blue Bay is more of a residential type setting, with the rental properties scattered among neiborhoods of private homes, rather than your typical resort, but with all the resort services one could want. They have properties ranging from The Oceans, right at the beach, to villas (The Village) and condos (The Hill and The Gardens) that are a short walk or drive to a semi-private beach that would be well suited to your wants. There's also a new hotel going up right at the beach area that will likely be done by April.

Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions about Blue Bay.

Curacao
Level Contributor
840 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liked Curaçao so much we're returning in 2015 :)

For staying on the water I'd recommend:

All West in Westpunt

Lagun Ocean or Lagun Blou in Lagun

A variety of condos in Blue Bay

Sun Reef is on the water at St. Michel but I haven't seen the interiors.

My favorite dives are in Westpunt, Banda Bou and the wall in Blue Bay. Since it's my back yard, I'm partial to the snorkeling in Westpunt Bay :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
768 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liked Curaçao so much we're returning in 2015 :)

In the same area where you stayed at the Hilton is the Royal palm resort and the Piscadera harbor village. Its a lot more local in its mix of people. We bought a place at Royal Palm because we loved the island and the area.

Having said that the lagun area is really nice but very secluded.

Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions about Royal palm or the piscadera bay area.

sacramento, ca
Level Contributor
83 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liked Curaçao so much we're returning in 2015 :)

We looked at Royal Palm before our first visit to Curaçao, but choose the Priceline deal instead. Looks like a nice place but, as your post noted, we're looking for secluded this trip.

5. Re: Liked Curaçao so much we're returning in 2015 :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 06:15