We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Same-Sex Recognition

USA
7 posts
Save Topic
Same-Sex Recognition

Hi, wondering ...

I am from USA married to a same-sex partner. My partner is currently living in curaçao. I will be traveling from the USA to Curacao to visit my spouse. Now, when immigration in curacao asks me if I have family in Curacao, would I say yes or no?

Since in Curacao same-sex marriage is not legal. I'm confused in what to answer if this question arises.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Same-Sex Recognition

I have never had a normal immigration interview ask that question. Maybe in a secondary interveiw. if i were you I would say i was married.

USA
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Same-Sex Recognition

Yes. I would say I am married, my spouse lives in Curacao. But Curacao doesn't recognize same-sex marriages... So would a same-sex partner be considered "spouse" according to immigration?...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Same-Sex Recognition

Did you ever visit Curacao before? I've only been there once, and maybe it's because I came on a plane from cold and lonely Canada with a bunch of obvious tourists, but the immigration officer did not ask a single question. Either way, I doubt they'd give you a hassle.

(On the other hand, if you ever visit Canada, be sure to have your back story straight. I feel as if I'm interrogated as a criminal suspect every time I come back. But we recognize all marriages here ;) )

USA
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Same-Sex Recognition

Same here in New York! They ask you so many questions and curaçao they barely ask you anything!... But I guess if Curacao immigration ever asks me if I have a spouse... I would answer yes. I doubt, they won't go into further details. Probably contact information etc.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Same-Sex Recognition

Curacao immigration is not like the US immigration who seem like the Gestapo... I doubt that they will ask you if you are married and they will also not ask questions if your spouse is a man. Curacao is very gay tolerant so don't expect any hassle..

BTW Gays cannot marry on Curacao but for example can marry in other countries and can register their marriage at the municipality.

6. Re: Same-Sex Recognition

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:16