We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in Curacao

Which Willemstad hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
one day in Curacao

We will have one day in Curacao on a Cruise stop. Just want to go to a beach. Any recommendations? Knip Bay?? Should I rent a car? thanks for any help...

Indiana
Level Contributor
89 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day in Curacao

Last week I was there for two days on my way down from the US to Venezuela. I rented a small car for $25/day from National which I used to tour the island including a visit to Knip Bay.

At Grote Knip(Also know as Playa Kenepa Grande) I talked to some Taxi guys who were sitting on the shade waiting for their fares to get back to the shipped. I asked them for would be the cost from the cruise dock to Knip (for future reference). The cost was US$60 more if you had than one (??? didn't get this as a they were taxis).

So if you can rent a car through Budget, Thrifty, National or Avis inexpensively do it (road were good). Otherwise just talk of your plans with other folk on the ship and share the cost.

Do a Curacao Search on Flicker with "kenepa" "knip" or the name of whatever beach you're considering.

I saw Seaquarium Beach were tons of folk are taken. If you want a beach with services developed go there (I did not like it as it has a feeling of a hotel pool with all the businesses there). If you want a beach with a better feel of nature your choice of Knip bay is excellent.

Bom Bini (Welcome) to Curacao

Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: one day in Curacao

Thanks for the info! We generally prefer to go in th opposite direction of where the cruise passengers are being herded...renting a car (if easy) or paying for a cab sounds like the way to go...Thanks Again!

Curacao
Level Contributor
472 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day in Curacao

If you are here only one day you should not miss Grote Knip Beach (beautiful sandy beach), Cas Abou Beach or Porto Marie Beach for snorkeling.

If you want to get the most of your day renting a car is definitely the way to go. Head towards the western part of the island, visit Siete Boca National Park and see Boca Pistol (the waves crashing against the rrocks) and Boca Tabla and Natural Bridge. Make sure to bring lots of water. By now you will want to take a swim drive to Grote Knip Beach, the most picturesque beach on the island but not ideal for snorkeling, too sandy, then head over to Cas Abou beach for some amazing snorkeling.

Good luck.

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day in Curacao

I also understand the beaches around Westpunt are the nicest.....probably not as crowded either.

Just facts gives great information.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day in Curacao

Grosse Knip, Kas Aboua and Porto Marie are great beaches. The are closer to a standard beach with fairly wide sand expanses and some afcilities.

For less crowded beaches (cove shaped) look for Klein Knip, Lagun, Jeremi and Playa Kalki. Playa Grandi at Westpunt pictoresque.

If the beach is deserted (Jeremi often is) be careful of your valuables. There are infrequent thefts from cars.

The recommendation to stop at Boca Tabla is a great one. Worth the hour it takes.

The beaches named except for Jeremi and Klein Knip have beach cafes for lunch.

Bring a snorkeling kit.

Traveling time to the West end of teh island from the pier is less than one hour.

Enjoy it enough to come back for a longer stay.

6. Re: one day in Curacao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 10:23
Get answers to your questions about Willemstad