We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie - lots of questions ! !

Which Willemstad hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie - lots of questions ! !

Newbie family of 4 coming to Curacao in October - staying at Breezes and we have lots of questions, hope we can get some answered.

Breezes Hotel Questions:

- Do they have connecting rooms?

- Electronic door locks or keys?

- Safe - electronic or key? Large enough for cameras, etc?

- Is it safe to walk the beach at night?

- Bring bug spray - have read do have sandfleas, don't have sandfleas.... do or don't?

- How busy will it be in October?

- It'll be hot in October - right ? :)

- Do they have a snack bar or something for the bottomless pit teenagers?

- Do we bring our own beach towels?

- Quiet building - Flamingo tower?

- Can we bring our "bubba mugs" for the A/I beverages/pop?

- What kind of tours does the hotel offer - is there a tour desk on site?

- Is there a shuttle to town or do we taxi - if taxi, approx $$ to "town" do to some shopping?

Other questions:

- What kind of souviners could we expect to find to buy? I collect wooden or ceramic masks, will I find any ?

- Would you recommend we rent a vehicle to tour the island? May be our one and only trip to this part of the world.

- Restaurants offsite - how expensive is eating at the restaurants on Curacao ? We're big seafood fans and want to experience as much as we possibly can.

Thanks in advance for any responses..... TA is the best spot for information !

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie - lots of questions ! !

Wow, seems like a good start for a Q&A page. Hope you get the answers, I'm interested in some of them as well. good luck.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie - lots of questions ! !

There are some really detailed 2009 reviews of Breezes at:

<http://www.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com/curacao/super.html>

Here are some older posts from TA, which are now closed and cannot be bumped forward:

<http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147277-i583-k1046564-Breezes-Curacao.html>

<http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147278-i584-k1770777-l10814699-Breezes-Willemstad_Curacao.html#10814699>

These might help.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie - lots of questions ! !

I have not stayed at Breeze for years but can answer some of your questions:

safe is large enough

Beach at the resort is safe.

Next door beaches are OK Mambo beach next door has activities at night

Bug spray is useful. I prefer the towelletes. You acn buy at hotel or elsewhere on the island. Don't bulk out your luggage.

October is low season because it is rain season. Expect 3 to 5 heavy showerss each day - about 5 minute duration each - these should not alter your plans for the day. Half will be during the night. There coulsd likely be one rainy day or a storm (not hurricane) - there are lots of indoor options - museums etc. Plan one rainy day.

Shuttkle, atxi is $10 also bus stop in front - busses are clean, safe and 110 minutes to town.

You will find masks

Rent a car for at least 2 or 3 days - you will find weekly rate is almost same as 3 days. Rent from web site - all major brands are on the island. Thrifty is at Breeze.

Breeze has good restaurants. Lots of choice for restaurants from fast food to gourmet. You will find a complete range of dishes and prices on the island. A very good restaurant will charge $13 to $20 for a main course. Some will offer a three or four course menue for about $35. Just outside Breeze on the East on the beach there is an outdoor restaurant that offers good sea food at very reasonable price. Not fancy but tasty and friendly athmosphere.

You may want to try Gouverneur in Otrabanda across from the floating bridge - good food reasonable price. Brakkeput Mai Mai may be fun - different theme every night. Sail on week days on top of Maritime museum. When you explore stop at landhuis Doctorstuin for Kriolou (local) food - at noonand early PM

You'll be back!

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie - lots of questions ! !

Next to or very near Breezes is Seaside Terrace, very fresh seafood, read the reviews here. Do rent a car and get out and explore all the island has to offer. Grill King and Asia de Cuba also very good.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie - lots of questions ! !

thanks flamingo..... only the Debbies link works :(

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbie - lots of questions ! !

so far so good, thanks everyone !

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Newbie - lots of questions ! !

I rechecked them and they work for me.

You have to copy and paste inside of the < > into your search window.

Give it another try.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newbie - lots of questions ! !

thanks Flamingovilla, didn't know I had to go within the <>

Learned something (well quite a lot actually) today

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newbie - lots of questions ! !

It is safe to walk th beach at night. You can even go next door on the stretch of cabana beach, wet & wild, Mambo beach and Lionsdive. This is longer stretch and also safe to walk at night. Lot of activity during the weekend especially friday night

Bring some bug spray but buy on the island

It is hot the whole year. October is not the hottest month.

Yes there is a snackbar on the beach. Burgers, Hotdogs, fries etc etc all in your AI price

Not required. We got some from the hotel when I stayed there 1.5 yrs back.

Yes you can

There is a tour desk. Try out peter trips

Other questions:

Definitely rent a car for a day or 2. The west part of the Island is nice. There are the nices beaches. Try Cas Abou, Porto Mari, Knip

The other posts give you a good idea about other restaurants. Lots of options

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newbie - lots of questions ! !

Thanks everyone. It sure helped me. Easier to see all of your answers on one page than searching question by question, so thanks for taking the time to help out some newbies!