We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui or Curacao

Which Willemstad hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
washington state
Level Contributor
118 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Maui or Curacao

Looking for opinions from someone who has been to both. I know, totally different. Where would you go?

Michigan
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui or Curacao

My wife and I travel a lot, but not to Maui. Our trip to Curacao is the best that we have ever had. If you are American, most people here are Dutch, but I found that enjoyable to talk and socialize with non-Americans. Put Curacao on the top of your list.

New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui or Curacao

I have been to both places several times. I love to snorkel so I spend most of my time at the beach. Both Curacao and Maui have great snorkeling but I think Maui is a little better. Maui is America. It is lush and beautiful and there are many things to do there. Curacao is a foreign country so there is a different culture to learn about. The people in Curacao are very nice for the most part and it is easy to get around without speaking Dutch. It is a dry island so the appearance is very different from Hawaii. When I go on vacation, I want to be where I am going in a reasonable time. If you choose Curacao you will spend 2 days of your vacation traveling there and back and that is a consideration. I live on the east coast so it is easy for me to get to Curacao. If I lived in Washington, I would go to Maui.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui or Curacao

I've been to both and I would recommend..... both!

Each location has it's own special magic about it, Curacao is a fabulous country. The people are fantastic, it's very clean, the food is divine, the culture is very interesting. The ocean and the beaches are to die for - diving and snorkeling included.

Maui is just as great, but more commercialized. It's hotter in Curacao, the fabulous Hawaiian trades cool things down a bit better in Maui. The beaches are fabulous as well, snorkeling and diving is great too.

Go to Curacao one year and Maui the next !

washington state
Level Contributor
118 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui or Curacao

Thanks for the feedback. I was leaning towards Maui for all the reasons mentioned. In order to use my miles to get to Curacao I would have to overnight in Miami, or red eye it. Hate that. So I will be forced to go to Maui for 10 days , what a bummer :)

Some vacations I like more of an adventure, diff country for example, others I like to chill with no worries. This will be the later.

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui or Curacao

Believe me on Curacao you will Chill with no worries. Have a great trip

Denmark
Level Contributor
84 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui or Curacao

We haven't been to Curacao yet. Are going this summer.

But we went to Maui in 2008, and fell instantly in love with the island. If you want to get away from the crowds go to Hotel Hana Maui on the south coast almost at the end of Hana Highway. The hotel is at the site of a cattle ranch, with stunning views from the pool and the restaurant. Once a week the manager invites the guests to a cocktail party at the old plantation manor, which is a treat. Lots of old photos on the walls from long ago. Go horseback riding across the wide unspoilt landscape on cattle horses (not tourist horses). Don't miss Lilli's organic farm a little farther along the Hana Highway. And go see the Hana Lava tubes, stopping on the way to pick your own fresh ripe avocado....n The beaches here do not by any means compare to those in the Carribean though, although I think the beaches on the much more "touristy" west coast are ok.

7. Re: Maui or Curacao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 23:18