We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curacao and the food...

Georgia,USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Curacao and the food...

I have been researching Curacao, and it does seem like a well kept secret! The beaches seem very nice, and it is very colourful- Beautiful place...I am curious about the food and prices.How affordable are the meals there - what are the popular meals and what do the locals mostly enjoy ? Can anyone enlighten me please. I would like to vist with my spouse and 2 adult children later on this year. I think I prefer to stay In Willemstad, I believe it is more central there. Thank You.

Northern Va
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Curacao and the food...

You will need a car no matter where you stay. Reasonable rates on cars there. I live near Washington DC and food prices there are about the same as eating out here. There are very nice dining options everywhere. Scampis at the waterfront arches in Williamstad is a great place with a deck over the water (there are a few places right there in a row). Many other places around the island. I found many peoople had good things to day about Land Haus Daniel but I was not impressed at all. Land Haus Braukenput has a great lobster special on Thursdays.

If you are up to quick and cheap, all the American fast food places are there too.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Curacao and the food...

The cultural diversity in the ABC islands lends itself well to diverse cuisines. Sample the Surinamese / Indonesian foods such as Bami and Nasi and Roti. A traditional Antillean dish is Keshi Yena but is not easily found..also bunchi kora and jambo and tutu..my spelling may be off. There is a heavy SA influence as well. I have been to a few local places and typical dining spots. Sol Food is good. Jaanchie's used to be the place but I have not been in a few years. Ask the taxi drivers and local folks where they eat..have FUN...(oh if you order fish, get the fungi to go with it..it's a cornmeal polenta type dish..very tasty. Please only eat sustainable fish such as Mahi Mahi (Dradu and Wahoo) and NEVER EVER Grouper. If there is Lionfish on the menu, give it a go.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Curacao and the food...

Oh sorry, I recall a local lunch spot and dinner I believe. I was dating a man from Curacao last year and he took me to Golden Star. The Antillean food was good..he had Jambo..I had fish and fungi. My fish was slightly dry but the place is truly a local experience.

Georgia,USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Curacao and the food...

Thanks for the very informative responses...Will certainly make note of them all.

To caribchakita: Why not the Grouper??..I like grouper fish , so what is wrong with it there??

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Curacao and the food...

Grouper is not sustainable..it's overfished..also they are the only known predator to the Lionfish which is decimating the fish population in the Caribbean. Most divers and eco friendly Caribbeanophiles do not eat grouper. Please google it to learn more and Judes, truly thanks for asking..I too love Grouper but will never eat it again..and farmed Grouper, YUCK...

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,326 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Curacao and the food...

You should google eating lionfish, read on another forum it can be poisionous. Grouper is great.

California
Level Contributor
486 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Curacao and the food...

I liked the taste of chicken soup and beef soup in local restaurant. It`s served with large piece of chicken or beef. Instead of salt and spices you squeeze juice of the half lime to the soup. Price for each soup was 5 ANG = $US 2,79. I don`t know if this is style from Curacao or Colombia, because the cook was from Colombia. Now as I eat Campbell`s tomato soup or any soup I always squeeze juice of the half lime for taste - tropical style! Cold beer is always served with piece of lime.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,895 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Curacao and the food...

The spines of lion fish are poisonous, I don't believe the meat is. Ambergris Caye in Belize has lion fish tournaments every month, just as an incentive to kill the darn things. Then, one of the bars cooks up all the fish. Really good stuff, and a great party.

Curacao
Level Contributor
863 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Curacao and the food...

amigoe.com/curacao/69666-vangst-met-elf-niet…

This link is in Dutch, I couldn't find the English version....

The Curacao government just recently approved 100 ELF (Eliminate Lion Fish) spears for the dive shops to use and hopefully lower the number of lion fish on Curacao. Ocean Encounters West brought us a string full one evening, David grilled them, everyone had a taste and enjoyed the tasting. Thank you Steve for cleaning them :) I believe you might find other shops bringing their catch to the local restaurants around the island. You can try Marta Kostje on the road to Westpunt before the turn off to Porto Marie. Relaxed Divers is giving them their lion fish.

It is illegal to use a spear in Curacao. This is a special dispensation to control the lion fish population.

Curacao
Level Contributor
187 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Curacao and the food...

To get a great sample of the local cuisine, have lunch at the local market - Plasa Bieuw (in downtown Willemstad) - between 11.30 and 2.30. The ladies cook on the spot, the food is delicious and cheap.

You can even ask the ladies for a sample plate (a little bit of beef stew, chicken, rice & beans, etc). Average price per main dish - USD 7,-

In the Western part of the island you can also eat at Landhuis Doksterstuin. Local food only in a nice antique ambiance, but the food is slightly more expensive than the market. Enjoy your stay!

Get answers to your questions about Willemstad
Recent Conversations