We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curacao in 10 days!!!

Portland Oregon
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Curacao in 10 days!!!

We arrive next Saturday and it will be our first trip to Curacao.

We went to Bonaire in February and had a blast, but wanted to check out other islands (Bonaire is the first warm water diving my husband has done....we do "cold" water diving in Oregon/Washington year round).

We will primarliy be diving..diving, and a litte bit more diving with some book reading/sunning thrown in for good measure.

We are staying at All West in Westpunt. Any suggestions for things to bring or not bring? We totally overpacked for Bonaire, so this time we are ditching most of the clothes and adding more swim suits :)

I am assuming water temps are the same from Bonaire to Curacao. We dove our shortie wetsuits on the first day. I dove my full suit at night. But other than that, we were without exposure suits. So we are trying to determine if we should pack both suits again....your thoughts?

Madison,WI
Level Contributor
529 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Curacao in 10 days!!!

We'll be there in a couple of weeks, for our second time. Swimsuits, shorts, t shirts and a couple of golf shirts is all the clothes I needed. Very casual is fine.

Water should be warm, but we always do a full 3mil suit. Maybe we're soft. Go meet Sunshine and David @ Sol Food, Friday - Sunday, to get your island update. If you have time leaving the airport, pick up some groceries @ Centrum before heading to Westpunt. If you're arriving too late, pack some snacks to cover you until you can get to the store.

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Curacao in 10 days!!!

Water temperature is the same as Bonaire. Actually it will be warmer because in February our water tend to "cooldown" a bit. In this period of the yr water tends to be at its highest temp (Aug/Sept).

Like the previous post is saying casual clothing is fine over here. My last dive is years back but I used to dive once a month some years back and I never used a wet suit. According to me your shortie should be just fine but maybe you should get this advice from more experienced divers than me.

Go visit Solfood. Nice Lunch/dinner and Sunshine will give you lots of info. They are only open during weekends Fri-Sun. One other must do restaurant in west punt landhuis misje (Tue-Sa). For local food go to Jaanchi. Enjoy your stay

Curacao
Level Contributor
856 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Curacao in 10 days!!!

Westpunt update :)

Warm on the hot side with just enough wind. Very little rain a couple of times during the night this week. Some mosquitoes but not bad. Easiest solution? A lightweight pair of long pants for the evening.

I wear a 3 mil after 4 years on the island. Most once a year dive vacationers come with a shorty. If you are going on 2 tank boat dives, I'd (wimp out and) wear a 3 mil full suit. Similar to Bonaire; 84 degrees.

Like Bonaire the shore line is corally. Booties and open fins work best.

Misje is now open Weds. - Sat.

Apparently because I had to go to town today, the guests at All West got to jump in the water with the dolphins this morning.

Up to 8 turtles sighted around the boats. But, hey! It's a giant treasure hunt, enjoy! Sea you soon.

4. Re: Curacao in 10 days!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 09:22
Get answers to your questions about Willemstad