We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liquids Upon Departure

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
65 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Liquids Upon Departure

I was reading some reviews for the resort we will be staying at next month and someone made a comment about not being able to have liquids in your carryon when you fly out. Not even the 3oz and under liquids. I can't seem to confirm or deny the restriction on the internet, obviously I am not looking in the right place. Can someone here confirm or deny based on their personal experience?

Thanks in advance!

Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liquids Upon Departure

I've only noticed beverages confiscated....the bag check isn't super vigilante, almost a formality. But they will grab your water or soda, even if you just purchased it in the gate area, after you've cleared security. My wife has successfully "avoided detection" once or twice, sometimes knowingly. I'm starting to think she "plants" a water bottle in her carry-on just for fun now...

I would recommend packing fluids you don't want to risk losing in your checked bags. We use multiple zip-loc bags just in case.

Departing Americans returning home get much tougher scrutiny coming thru Shipol Airport in Amsterdam. They do individual "interviews" and completely screen you at the gate, even though you've already passed through general security. I'll all for being safe, but it seems excessive.

Edited: 10 January 2012, 20:11
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
65 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liquids Upon Departure

Thank you for the advice.

We've flown out of Amsterdam also and noticed they had a lot of questions, almost as though we were lying. We thought it was because we were on our honeymoon and our passports had different last names. Shesh that was almost 10 years ago now. Glad they are still being thorough ;)

Virginia
Level Contributor
969 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liquids Upon Departure

We were in Curaçao in November. They confiscated drinks, but not the 3oz stuff.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,030 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liquids Upon Departure

We flew carry on only to Curacao last month. Had no problems with our baggie full of 3 oz. liquids.

5. Re: Liquids Upon Departure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2013, 10:16