We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any beaches to 'ride the waves'?

Which Willemstad hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phila, PA
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Any beaches to 'ride the waves'?

We are going to stay at the Marriott in Curacao for a week in March. My kids asked if there was a beach we could visit that had some (smaller) waves for them to ride in. Thanks for any input!

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any beaches to 'ride the waves'?

Not really our southcoast has very calm waters. No significant waves you can ride in.

On the northcoast there is at least one spot I know that has waves you can do that. it is called playa canoa. It used to be frequented by surfers but not anymore. But it is very rocky shoreline and depends how much wind it can be tricky to dangerous. Ask around i would not recommend it but it is the only place I know of.

Curacao
Level Contributor
840 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any beaches to 'ride the waves'?

Huub,

Is there still a surf competition in ?June? at Canoa?

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
59 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any beaches to 'ride the waves'?

The best waves we saw were on the beach at Klein Curacao. Aside from that, the water was quite calm.

Phila, PA
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any beaches to 'ride the waves'?

Thanks for your response! Doesn't sound like a good fit for us...

Virginia
Level Contributor
969 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any beaches to 'ride the waves'?

Do your kids snorkel? There's some good snorkeling right off the beach at the Marriott.

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any beaches to 'ride the waves'?

No this is not really a surf island. Water is very calm here.

Sunshine I have no idea of the competition in June at Canoa. Last time I was there it was very quiet maybe 2 people in the water. But that is some time back

Phila, PA
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any beaches to 'ride the waves'?

They do snorkel, so very much looking forward to that! In fact, I've been picking islands to visit over the last several years based on having little to no waves for some great shore snorkeling, plus feeling a bit safer with little kids, so I was surprised that my son asked for that! Guess they're growing up though :)

8. Re: Any beaches to 'ride the waves'?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 19:17