We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resorts for families - Sunscape?

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Resorts for families - Sunscape?

Hi there - Looking to possibly book Curacao for a family vacation (late 30s and 2 kids, 13 and 7 at time of travel). Want to find a great mix of diving and beach, and also woudl like to be very near or in Willemstad for touring the city. We like the ease of an all-inclusive resort (especially with kids). Just starting researching and the Sunscape Curacao looks like it could fit the bill for a family. Does Sunscape have a dive shop at the resort or is there another dive shop you can recommend that is close.

Thoughts or any other suggestions for resorts/hotels?

Also, is it easy to get to willemstad and tour/explore on foot? Thanks for the info. Too Cold.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
815 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resorts for families - Sunscape?

I have been there many times when it was still breezes and it was very kid friendly. Not been there since it became Sunscape as we bought a condo on the island. Sunscape is the only all inclusive on the island that canadians can book thru air canada , westjet or sunwing. There may be others but you would need to check and are not available as a package thru the operator. As I remember there is a dive boat and shop right next to the property on the seaquarium side.

Getting downtown is easy but to far to walk. take a cab or the local bus that stops right outside the resort.

You could also consider the rennisience in town or the marriot or hilton just out of town, not all inclusive. Consider renting a condo which could save you some money.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resorts for families - Sunscape?

Thanks much - do you usually fly WJ or AC from TO. We can direct to TO from Regina (especially with AC). How far in advance do you find you need to book flights (do they sell out pretty fast to Curacao).

Would you recommend Willemstad for families and once in town to be quite pedestrian? It appears to be such a quaint place (from the pics anyhow). Cheers.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
815 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resorts for families - Sunscape?

We normally prefer WJ because I have had better service with them than with AC but both work to get you there. As far as availability it all depends on when you are going. Christmas/New years and March Break go fast and we booked our seats for those 2 periods back in June because they sell out fast ,there was a great seat sale and we stay at our own condo so no hotel to worry about.

Other times like Jan and Feb are hit an miss with pricing. Last I checked , week or 2 ago ,there are seats available for about 650 each.

Willemstadt is very family and pedestrian friendly with many people walking around. Very much an old dutch town in a tropicale climate.

I suggest checking out Curacao.com for an overall of the island.

We like to have a drink at the Iquana Cafe on the punda side overlooking the harbour.

When are you planning your trip for.

Feel free to ask me any other questions

Peter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resorts for families - Sunscape?

Thanks so much - we are actually planning for Jan/feb 2015 likely - but in speaking with my travel agent she did say we would want to book pretty quickly once the 2015 pricing comes out (I have no desire to do the milk run throught Miami or Atlanta when Regina/Toronto/Carribean is so easy) - I am thinking June as well to book so we can get our preferred dates for flights. I am just really doing my research and building my budget for this.

Do you know if you can do island hopper flights from Curacao to Bonaire? I know this was a big thing when we were in St. Lucia - we flew to the grenadines from castries for a cat cruise through the isles for the day.

Edited: 15 November 2013, 14:43
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
815 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resorts for families - Sunscape?

I am not sure , as we have not done it ourselves, but we are going down to our condo in curacao in 3 weeks and I can inquire with our agent while we are there. I am pretty sure it is possible but may be a bit pricey.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resorts for families - Sunscape?

Thanks for the info, Peter.

As we research I may have more q's for you. Cheers!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
815 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resorts for families - Sunscape?

anytime.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resorts for families - Sunscape?

Yes there are flights between Curacao and Bonaire, I know of a DE here that has gone for a day.

Toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resorts for families - Sunscape?

Perfect in every way ! Great beach, nice kiddie club, large waves blocked by reef for snorkeling, good snorkeling, nice pools for kids and adults, Great location with Sea aquarium within walking distance and free shuttle buses to town where there is shopping, cruise ships, and the famous swinging bridge.

We are taking our family of 14 there for March Break 2014 (for the third time).

.........McDonald/Reid family

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
815 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resorts for families - Sunscape?

Perhaps we will run into you in town as we will also be on the island at that time.

Get answers to your questions about Willemstad