We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset restuarant with fresh and interesting fish dishes

Which Willemstad hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
737 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset restuarant with fresh and interesting fish dishes

Hi. I will be in Willemstad on a cruise stop. I will be snorkeling in the morning and then meeting up with mom to explore the town. We are the 7am to 11pm! I hope I am correct that this is a good town to wander around? Rather than going back on the ship for dinner I would like to find a nice seafood spot on the water to watch the sun set. Don't want to mess with a taxi at night getting back to port so somewhere in town. Any recs for a place with fresh seafood with local or otherwise interesting approach? I hear the fungi-polenta thing is something to try-so along those lines. Someone on here mentioned lionfish-I would love to eat one of those buggers. Thanks:)

Willemstad...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset restuarant with fresh and interesting fish dishes

If this is what you want, please take a cap to Marie Pompoen, there's a restaurant called Surf and turf and has exactly this atmosphere. Otherwise go to Octopus at Boca Sami.. also with a taxi. These are the two best local spots where you can feel the "real Curacao", eating what you saw the fisherman just brought in and the funchi ofcourse. Try it fried, it's the best. Enjoy!!!!!!!

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset restuarant with fresh and interesting fish dishes

There are plenty of restaurants walking distance from the ship. Across the pontoon bridge is Scampi's,Grill King. In Rif Fort there is Steak and Ribs, Bistro LeCholard, all with sunset views. By the way, if you find lionfish, hopefully it will be prepared correctly, it is poisonous.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 17:45
Shirley...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset restuarant with fresh and interesting fish dishes

Hi,

Just wanted to clarify one thing mentioned. The Lionfish is not poisonous, it is venomous. The toxin is in the spines of the fish and are delivered when a person is pierced by one of them. The flesh/meat of the fish is not poisonous and is perfectly safe to eat. The only danger is if somehow the person preparing the fish injected the fish with its own spines or maybe from another one it was preparing. But to me that would raise concerns about proper food safety and sanitary conditions of the restaurant and I'd worry about all the food they cook.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset restuarant with fresh and interesting fish dishes

What I found on google

myt.h #4: You can’t eat lionfish.

Truth: Because lionfish are venomous, not poisonous (see above!), there is no harm in eating the lionfish meat. Once you dispose of the spines, there is no risk of envenomation, and you’re free to prepare your lionfish as you choose. Fortunately for the eco-friendly fish lovers out there, lionfish are delicious. Their white, buttery meat lends itself to any number of different recipes. In fact, there are many restaurants throughout the Caribbean and southern United States that are featuring lionfish on their menus to promote awareness while satisfying customers.

Cary, North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset restuarant with fresh and interesting fish dishes

In Curaçao the Lionfish is considered an invasive species with no local natural predator (other than man), whose presence is destroying the reefs by preying on the natural reef inhabitants. The more Lionfish that are killed, the better...so eat up. Lionfish truly is a delicious tasting fish. I've had it every time I see it on a menu, most recently at Seaside Terrace where they deep fried and heavily spiced the whole fish (head, fins, and all, sans the spines).

Virginia
Level Contributor
969 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset restuarant with fresh and interesting fish dishes

Surf and Turf and Seaside Terrace are side by side. We ate lionfish at both and found them equally tasty.

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset restuarant with fresh and interesting fish dishes

There is also this, though, that indicates it may not be safe to eat:

www.google.com/url…

I'm all in favor of killing the bas##$$# for sure, just not sure I want to eat them.

Virginia
Level Contributor
969 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset restuarant with fresh and interesting fish dishes

The toxin that article speaks of is found in most, if not all, reef predators. If you're worried about getting sick from lionfish, you should also avoid grouper, snapper, sea bass and hogfish. Read more here:

…nbcnews.com/health/eat-lionfish-sure-beware…

I know a gal who came down with ciguatera after eating grouper. It is a nasty illness.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 13:58
9. Re: Sunset restuarant with fresh and interesting fish dishes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 06:21