We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way from Airport to Hoogstraat in Otrabanda

Which Willemstad hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Best way from Airport to Hoogstraat in Otrabanda

Hi: 10 days to go, and I really need a vacation!!

We'll be landing mid afternoon and our fist stop is an apartment in Otrabanda on Hoogstraat. We won't be renting a car during our time in Willemstad.

What's the best way to get to our rental? I read somewhere that there's an inexpensive bus from the airport that stops fairly close to where we'll be staying. Is that recommended? Should we just take a taxi? How much would a taxi cost? Our dollar is dropping like a rock, so I'd prefer not to spend a fortune if a cheap and good alternative is available. Although if the bus is long and hot and a hassle, then a taxi could be fine too.

Thanks in advance,

Kay

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way from Airport to Hoogstraat in Otrabanda

It all depends on the amount and type of luggage you have. You can take the bus to otrabanda (not punda). It will be a 10 to 15 min walk with luggage.

Look them up on google maps the busstation in otrabanda is at Sebastopolstraat. Just search Sebastopolstraat, Willemstad, Curaçao in google maps.

Than look for Hoogstraat, Willemstad, Curaçao. You can walk both from the road leading to the big bridge or along the water side in otrabanda. Keep in mind there is some elevation. Hoogstraat is on higher grounds compared to the bus station but it is doable .

Bus will be much cheaper than the taxi.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way from Airport to Hoogstraat in Otrabanda

Thanks Huub. Google maps shows a walk of 650 m, so if we don't have much in the way of luggage, that should be doable. Do you know if we can pay with US$ for the bus? If not, is it reasonable to change some money in the airport?

K

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way from Airport to Hoogstraat in Otrabanda

Taxi should be US$20-25 plus tip. With luggage etc. I'd recommend doing that. Otrobanda can be a bit of a maze sometimes and it has somewhat unsavoury parts. Not as bad as it used to be, but you really don't want to get lost on your own there.

There are ATMs in the airport that will give you local currency.

Edited: 22 March 2014, 17:48
UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way from Airport to Hoogstraat in Otrabanda

Btw. it is "Otrobanda" which literally means the other side.

Aruba
Level Contributor
542 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way from Airport to Hoogstraat in Otrabanda

Hoogstraat is very easy to go to from the bus station. Just need to make sure on which end of the Hoogstraat your appartment is, because it is a long street!

Like Huub said, just look it up on Google maps.

Canvey Island
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way from Airport to Hoogstraat in Otrabanda

Kay, I see you are Canadian. We are currently in Curaçao on vacation and before we left I called RBC to ask about charges for using their credit and debit cards here. I was told each transaction would incur a 3%charge. There are RBC branches all over the place saying that they make charges for non RBC cards. I didn't bring mine but wish I had. BTW nothing here is cheap so if you cannot afford the taxi fare to get you sagely to your hotel from the airport you might struggle I fear. Free though is the sunshine and lovely cool sea!

Enjoy yourself.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way from Airport to Hoogstraat in Otrabanda

Thanks for all your replies. The taxi/bus decision will likely depend on many factors, such as when the next bus leaves and how hot it is. We can afford the taxi fare, but sometimes it's nice to save some money in one place to spend elsewhere. In the end, it will likely be the taxi. At one point the apartment owner mentioned meeting us at the airport, but the latest email said she would meet us at the apartment.

When taking a taxi, are there meters, or does one have to negotiate? Is it best to pay for taxis in the local currency or would US$ be fine?

All replies are much appreciated.

K

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way from Airport to Hoogstraat in Otrabanda

US$ should fine, agree the fare beforehand.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way from Airport to Hoogstraat in Otrabanda

Thanks again, appreciate the info. The apartment owner offered to pick us up for $30. Is this too much, seeing as taxi would be $20-25? Would it be OK to bargain with her, to at least match the taxi price, or would that be uncouth?

K

Cary, North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way from Airport to Hoogstraat in Otrabanda

I'd suggest you take her up on her kind offer of hospitality...it's very nice that she's offering to go the extra mile to please her guests. Although you would be OK to bargain with a taxi driver, to suggest to bargain with your host would not be well received. BTW, I think a taxi from Hato to Otrabanda will be at least $30, and more when you add in the tip. Taxis are not metered so charges are at the discretion of the driver, and what the market will bear.

Edited: 26 March 2014, 00:20
Get answers to your questions about Willemstad