We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January or March

UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
January or March

Hi

We are considering a trip to Dominica next year, probably staying in the south of the island.

We would mainly be scuba diving, snorkelling and hiking.

We have a potential choice of travelling in January or March. Are there any pros or cons about which of those two months we choose?

We've visited other parts of the Caribbean in February and it's often been too rough to snorkel - is a month earlier or later any better?

Thanks for any advice.

R

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
512 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: January or March

It depends on where you're from: ) For me - from Key West - February water is COLD. We were there last year at the end of January and it was perfect. It was dry so hiking was good but the water was too low in the rivers to do the Wacky Rollers / tubing down the river. Be sure you go canyoning !

UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January or March

Thank you for that. So are you saying the sea is actually warmer in January than February? (I would have guessed the opposite, in my ignorance!).

Are the waters generally calm enough in January to snorkel? (any less rough/windy than February?)

Thanks very much

r

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January or March

We've visited in early February and in March. Not a huge difference, but the waters will be warmer in March than in January. For snorkeling, there is generally no need for a wetsuit at either of these times.

March is hotter and usually begins to see more rain than Jan-Feb., which reduces visibility in the water. Mind you - rain generally comes in brief showers followed by sunshine.

I think Jan-Feb is somewhat better for snorkeling - but March can still be excellent.

Having said that, there are big variations in temperature and rainfall with altitude and from the east coast to the west coast.

Of course in February the island is hopping with Carnival.

Dominica
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: January or March

Hi

March is a good month. The waters are clear and warmer as the dry season is getting ready to really kick in. Though it is still cruise ship season, it is not quite as busy as in January when we can get 2 or more ships in at a time. Staying in the south is a good choice for diving as you will be close to the marine reserve.

Have a great trip.

Paul Crask.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January or March

There seems to be some confusion about sea temperatures.

In the northern hemisphere the sea is at its coldest in late February/early March, and at its warmest in late August/early September. This is because it takes the water a long time to warm up and a long time to cool down.

Bear in mind that for hurricanes to form, the sea temperature needs to be at least 28 degrees Celsius, and that hurricane season doesn't start till June.

UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January or March

Hi again

Thanks very much - there does seem to be confusion about water temperatures and also whether March is wetter or drier than January - I guess what all that is saying is there probably isn't much difference!

(But better to avoid Jan if possible because of the cruise ships).

Thanks again for your replies

I do hope we can make it!

R

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
512 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: January or March

Coming from the UK the water will be wonderful year round, but, March will be warmer for sure. It also seems like Dominica is far enough down the island chain that you don't get the winter winds as much as BVI / USVI / Fl Keys. You will love Dominica. We've traveled and lived around the Caribbean and South America and this is such an amazing island - completely unforgettable and unlike any other place. It's not the rum punch / island beach party Caribbean

UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January or March

Hee hee

My original question may turn out to be academic as there is a deveoloping possibility that we may be able to come for a whole six weeks - Jan and Feb! I'm getting so excited at the thought - I do hope we can pull it off as I think we will absolutely love it.

R

9. Re: January or March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Dominica