We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime/Safety

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
248 reviews
Save Topic
Crime/Safety

A medical student at Ross who was there in 2003 warned me that there is violent crime in Dominica and that my wife and I should not rent a car and do anything on our own.I was planning to use guides for all hikes except the very the simple ones. I was also planning to explore some of the beaches on my own.For example, does one need a guide to go to Emerald Falls?

In Calibishe area, is it safe for us to go out on our own and visit the various beaches and to explore small hikes in the area? Is it safe to walk in the village?

No one in these forums has mentioned anything about significant crime but she did give some disturbing examples of incidents involving her classmates. Innkeepers have mentioned that one should use usual caution and not be ostentatious, but obviously are not specific. My game plan now is to use driver/guides for all activities but I would prefer to do some exploring on my own.

1. Re: Crime/Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 19:42
London
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime/Safety

I agree with Julian. I definitely recommend that you hire a car and explore Dominica at your own pace. Certain hikes will require a guide but most places you can do on your own. You don't need a guide for Emerald Falls but there are lots of guides available if you want one.

I have driven around Dominica on my own as a single woman and I have never felt threatened. Yes there is crime as in all countries but nothing compared to London or America. Just exercise caution and common sense.

With regard to the comments from the medical student at Ross, I always stay in the Portsmouth area and have not encountered any situtations. I suppose it may depend where you "hang" out!

You'll have a fantastic time exploring the beautiful island of Dominica and if you are able take Julian up on his offer of meeting up. Enjoy!

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime/Safety

I don't know what the medical student was talking about. We found Dominica and Dominicans to be the most laid-back, friendly, and peaceful people we have met on our extensive Caribbean travels!(and we live on a pretty laid back and friendly island in the Caribbean!!)

The island is beautiful and so are the people and we saw no signs of any crime or violence.

We stayed in the Calibishie area (above Hodges beach) and hiked around the area alot without any problems.

We (family of four with children 8&13) rented a car (4x4 jeep) and did all of our own touring without guides.

I can highly recommend Sea Cliff Cottages for a great place to stay. They are located just outside of Calibishie within walking distance of the village.

Have a good time-you will love it!!!!

London
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime/Safety

I'm somebody else agrees with me with regard to what the student was talking about.

You really do not have to worry - you'll be fine travelling around the whole of the island on your own with a guide for the tougher hikes.

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime/Safety

I appreciate the responses. It's made me feel a whole lot better.

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime/Safety

Julian, I sent you a pm with my e-mail address. thanks.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime/Safety

I feel the need to chime in and agree with the other posters here. I've visited Dominica three times in the last four years. We've driven ourselves all over the island, walked in villages, stopped at snackettes and rum shops and never felt threatened. Rather, we have always felt welcome wherever we went.

We like to use guides - because we've learned and seen things we would never have otherwise, and get to meet some wonderful local people that way - not because we were concerned for our safety.

8. Re: Crime/Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 19:42
kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime/Safety

Julian,

Please check under messages,

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
512 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime/Safety

We also traveled all over night and day and never felt unsafe or threatened. People were wonderful, warm and friendly. You will LOVE it !

Get answers to your questions about Dominica