We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire for a longer term

UK
Level Contributor
487 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
car hire for a longer term

Hi

We are coming to Dominica for 6 weeks and wondered if anybody knew of any car hire companies that did good deals for a longer hire period? Normally we like to use the local buses a bit but we think we may get a better deal hiring for 6 weeks straight than 2 weeks on, one week off, two weeks on, one week off etc

Any recommendations useful.

Thanks

R

1. Re: car hire for a longer term

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 19:42
UK
Level Contributor
487 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire for a longer term

Hi

We are serious but unfortunately I think we are over there at the same time as you (mid Jan to end Feb) so you wouldn't be able to extend your car hire for us - thanks for the offer though!

What sort of rates are you getting? So far we are coming up with quotes of over $1700 inclu CDW !!! I don't know how much taxis are in Dominica but I presume you could buy an awful lot of taxi rides (and even a car - I see you've been looking with no success) for that sort of money!

Thanks for any advice

R

Dominica
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire for a longer term

Hi,

Here is a wesite you could check and compare the prices. It is www.avirtualdominica.com/carrental.cfm it will show you some, another car company is www.bestdealrentacar.dm hope it helps.

4. Re: car hire for a longer term

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 19:42
UK
Level Contributor
487 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire for a longer term

Hi

Thanks both for your replies. We have decided not to hire a car for the whole period as it's just too expensive and will use minibuses as much as we can (which are more fun anyway) - but I presume you can't use those if you have suitcases? Is that right?

Is anyone able to advise whether you get a better or worse or the same car hire rate pre-booking before you arrive or by organising it on the spot? If it's just the same we'll wait until we get there to decide what we do later in our stay.

Thanks again for your advice.

R

London
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire for a longer term

I think you will get a better deal once you get there especially if they don't have any bookings they'll bite your hand off for the rental. You'll also have more choice of rental companies once you are there. Avoid Budget car rental at all costs.

Canada
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire for a longer term

I used Lindo Park in Goodwill and found them very reasonable and easy to deal with. They dropped the car at my cottage and picked it up at the end too.

UK
Level Contributor
487 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car hire for a longer term

Thanks everyone

We were able to improve upon rack rates in the end by juggling things about a bit so we have made our bookings and have the security of knowing we can definitely have the car when we want it - and we'll make do with buses in between.

Thanks for your advice.

9. Re: car hire for a longer term

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 01 June 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Dominica