We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food costs

UK
Level Contributor
498 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Food costs

Hi

Looking at our budget again...

Can anybody give me an idea of the average price for meals out in Dominica? Not splurge places, just average.

Also, about how much would a weekly grocery bill come to? (we are meat eaters and not big drinkers)

I know these are really hard questions to answer but we just have no idea how much to budget for our 6 week stay on the food front.

Any guidance wold be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Dominica
Dominica
Caribbean
London
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Food costs

Hi,

My parents live in Dominica so I don't really know food costs whilst I am there. Although saying that, I know it costs about £6 for a box of Kelloggs Cornflakes!!!! When are you arriving? I'll be arriving in Dominica on Saturday so I could ask my mum approximate costings for a weekly shop etc. If you are fish eaters you can get plenty of fresh fish direct from the fishermen which would be much cheaper than buying from the supermarket. Depending where you will be based, there are loads of snackettes that you can buy a complete dinner (ie. chicken, rice, potatoes, salad) for around $10EC. A bargain for the amount you get.

Mentioned in this post
Dominica
Dominica
Caribbean
UK
Level Contributor
498 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food costs

Hi

Thanks for your help. We are coming out in early January so if you are able to give us any idea of a weekly food bill before then that would be great. We don't even know what's likely to be available...

What would you offer a fisherman for a fish? Are you expected to haggle or just pay what's suggested? (don't know what the form is!)

Sorry, absolutely clueless.... !

R

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,572 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food costs

As for meals out: a star-class dinner (Fort Young, yes) cost us around EC 70 (two courses & soft drink) per person end of last month. In a more standard tourist restaurant you can manage for EC 40-50.

Supermarket prices were lower than in French Caribbean (which are almost European/American), I'd say around 50-60% of that. And for the real local stuff (fruit/veggies) clearly lower but as in all smaller Caribbean islands a lot is imported.

Hope this helps a bit,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Fort Young Hotel
Fort Young Hotel
893 Reviews
Dominica
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
UK
Level Contributor
498 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food costs

Hi

Thanks for your help with bedgeting for meals out. Serser, did you have that average weekly shop cost for me please?

Thanks

R

London
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Food costs

Apologies for delay... been busy island hopping and not had internet access.

Hope I’m not too late but here is an approximate costs for basic food in Dominica

Sliced Loaf $5

Mastif (little French loaf) Bread - $2

Cheese $10 per 450g

Margarine $8 450g

Eggs $4 per half dozen

Local Fresh Whole Chicken $35

Fresh Fish $7-8 per pound

Lettuce $3

Carrots $5 per pound

Bananas $1 for three

Bottled Water $3 per litre

Kubuli (local) beer - $4

Rum punch $13

All in EC dollars

You can get a good amount of shopping (depending on your needs) for about $200 EC which will last you more than a week. Bread you will buy on a daily basis.... much fresher.

There are small shops in each village and small supermarkets in larger villages.

The main (larger) supermarkets are Astaphans, Whitchurch and Brizee Mart in Roseau.

I am on the island until Friday so if you need any further info then send me a personal message.

Mentioned in this post
Dominica
Dominica
Caribbean
Roseau
Roseau
Dominica
UK
Level Contributor
498 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food costs

HI

Thanks very much for this really useful information. We set off on Friday - can't wait!

R

London
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Food costs

You are more than welcome.

You will be pl;eased to know that the weather is extremely hot at the moment. You can leave behind the snowy weather of the UK and enjoy yourself.

I leave on Friday so we will most probably be crossing flight paths!

Enjoy your time in Dominca ... it truly is a beautiful country.

London
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Food costs

Hi,

Due to the adverse weather conditons, did you make it to Dominica on Friday? My flight left Dominica on time but was delayed at Antigua for nearly 6 hours. If you were coming via Antigua I'm sure the Virgin flight came in very late that night which would have meant you missed your connection to Dominica and had to sleep overnight in Antigua. If this is the case, I do hope it didn't spoil the start of your holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Dominica
Dominica
Caribbean
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
UK
Level Contributor
498 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food costs

Hi

I didn't explain that we were coming via USA (we have to do some work here for a few days first). We flew from Manchester and weren't delayed by weather conditions, only security checks - which are a nightmare! Hand luggage fully searched 4 times for 2 flights!!

But hopefully our stay in Dominica when we get there - hopefully this Wednesday - will make it all seem worthwhile...

R

Mentioned in this post
Dominica
Dominica
Caribbean
London
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Food costs

Yes it will be worth it when you get there.

Enjoy your holiday.