We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching in Portsmouth (or Rousea)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Whale Watching in Portsmouth (or Rousea)

We'll be spending 2 nights in Picard and the only whale watch organization I know of in the area goes out Wed, Sat, and Sun. Are there any that go out on Thurs or Fri?

Or we could drive Grand Fond to Rouseau, go on a whale watch, and then drive Rouseau to Picard. It seems like a bit of driving - 3 or 4 hrs in the car?

What time of day do the whale watches usually leave?

Thanks!

NJ
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching in Portsmouth (or Rousea)

You might need to double check your map. Are you staying in Grand Fond? I ask because I am unsure why you're asking about driving from there to Roseau.

There are several whale watching tours, www.discoverdominica.com will have a list of different tour ops. I think a few operate out of Castle Comfort area. I think we took ours through the Anchorage Hotel, but Al Dive may also have something.

From Picard near Portsmouth, you would drive south to Roseau and Castle Comfort, Grand Fond is not in between the two areas.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching in Portsmouth (or Rousea)

Thanks, spending 4 nights near Grand Fond, then 2 nights in Picard, so probably best whale watching day may be on our travel day from one place to the next.

London
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching in Portsmouth (or Rousea)

Not sure if you have checked out any of these operators for whale watching. They may be more flexible with their days.

Anchorage Dive Centre, Castle Comfort , Roseau Tel: (767) 448 2638

Email: dive@anchoragehotel.dm website: www.anchoragehotel.dm

Fort Young Hotel Dive Centre, Roseau Tel: (767) 448 5000

website: www.fortyounghotel.com (They make bookings with Dive Dominica)

Dive Dominica, Castle Comfort, Roseau Tel: (767) 448 2188

Email: dive@cwdom.dm website: castlecomfortdivelodge

Toronto
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching in Portsmouth (or Rousea)

What kind of whales do people usually see off Roseau in July?

London
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching in Portsmouth (or Rousea)

Several species visit the west coast of Dominica. The most popular is the sperm whale which actually breeds in the waters of Dominica. Other species of whales that may be seen her include short-finned pilot whales and humpback whales. Pods of dolphins may be spotted. Common sightings are spinner and bottlenose dolphins.

6. Re: Whale Watching in Portsmouth (or Rousea)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Dominica