We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominica for the Day

florida
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dominica for the Day

Arriving on a cruise 8-6 - Two couples travelling together looking for moderate type of touring but we want a safe experience....have heard some crazy stories about this island re drivers etc accidents.....what would be the must see to get a feeling and be able to see the beauty of this island? If anyone has a tour operator/giuide this would highly recommend would love the input Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dominica for the Day

What would interest you? How would you like to spend your day?

Touring around the island taking in the views, hiking the rainforest and lakes, beach day, snorkelling, waterfalls, scuba diving, national parks and fort, architecture and cultural heritage?

If you say what appeals to you then maybe some TA posters may be able to help you some more.

florida
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dominica for the Day

sorry I was so vague...../we would like to see the beauty of the island....we are not hikers and in our 50's so sometthing moderate as far as touring.....for this island I have not read anything too great about beaches it seems more about rain forest and natural beauty......we want to get a good sense of that....appreciate suggestions

Thanks

Southfield, Michigan
Level Contributor
247 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dominica for the Day

The roads aren't freeways for sure. However accidents aren't to be found every mile or 5 minutes. I was there for 2 weeks. I saw the results of 2 accidents, one of which was an overturned concrete truck at the jobsite.

As to what to do, you need to let your personal interests drive that choice. I hardly made a dent in the things that I would have liked to have done while on Dominica. Return trip? I hope so.

florida
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dominica for the Day

And what do you feel were the absolute must see on your trip to Dominica?

Southfield, Michigan
Level Contributor
247 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dominica for the Day

Boiling Lake.

Morne Trois Pitons (the mountain).

Morne Diablotin (which I didn't do because the Morne Trois Pitons hike kicked the **** out of me).

The above are not something I would do if I just had one day.

Canyoning with Extreme Dominica. If you are a little bit adventurous and capable of some physical effort, this is fun. You don't need experience. Their website at www.cocoacottages.com/extremedominica.cfm has additional info.

London
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dominica for the Day

4mar, as you are not hikers and want to see the actual beauty of Dominica rather than lying on a beach, hiking mountains etc (which can take quite a few hours) then I would defintely suggest that you get a tour guide/driver to take you around the whole island to spots like Emerald Pool, Trafalgar falls, Freshwater Lake, Carib Territory, Scott's Head (where the Caribbean Sea meets with the Atlantic Ocean, Rainforest Aerial Tram, Cabrits National Park, Screws Sulphar Spa (if you have time for a little soak and relaxation). If you hire your own driver then you can stop and take photos, enjoy the scenery as and when something catches your eye. I can give you a list of tour operators but I would suggest you post a note asking for tour operator recommendations that way you will get a driver that is highly recommended and a safe driver also. Unfortunately, the tour guide I have used in the past is off travelling and I now do all my own self-touring around the island. There is a lot of driving involved but you can see quite a bit in 7 hours and it is definitely best for someone else to take the strain of driving so you can enjoy the views plus they will know so nice spots to show you as well.

London
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dominica for the Day

Forgot to add, if you do go north of Dominica to the Cabrits National Park whilst you are in the area you could also do the Indian River which is in the town of Portsmouth.

florida
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dominica for the Day

Thank you so much your suggestion was very helpful....I will now post suggestions for a private tour driver......sounds like a wonderful day!!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dominica for the Day

I would highly recommend Beno to anyone interested in getting the most out of touring Dominica. We were on one of his regular tours 2 years ago & had such a great time that we booked him again this year. First I have to say that I am an extremely nervous passenger (probably due to my husband’s driving) & had heard that the roads in Dominica are very narrow, steep, twisty & in need of repair. Beno is an incredibly safe driver who knows his island like the back of his hand & will take alternate routes when he knows there may be a problem such as flooding or too many cruise ships in port lending to traffic jams & I felt completely safe. He is extremely knowledgable about Dominica, pointing out anything & everything along the way & providing the history behind everything you see. The first time he took us to Trafalgar Falls, Ti Tou Gorge, Botanical Gardens, Fresh Water Lake, Mr. Nice Fruit Stand & Mero Beach. This time we decided to just go to Screw’s Spa for the sulphur springs, Champagne Reef for the snorkeling & a black sand beach for some relaxation before going back to the ship. Since this was a custom tour, he suggested getting some other people to join us which would make it more affordable for all of us which turned out perfectly ($40 pp)! He even included cold beer & ice cold water for us. His email is bnpascal@gmail.com. Dominica is an absolutely beautiful island with so many natural wonders & having Beno as your tour guide will make it a perfect day.

Calibishie, Dominica
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dominica for the Day

I just want to pipe up and let you know that, despite the curvy roads (following the topography of the island) and the fact that it feels like Dominicans drive fast (when they are passing you on the road), there are surprisingly few accidents here, and especially few involving travelers. My husband and I own Calibishie Cove - a gorgeous little guesthouse on the water in the northeast of Dominica - and I personally have only ever seen one accident.

Don't worry -- and enjoy yourself! Dominica is the best planet earth has to offer.

Get answers to your questions about Dominica