We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belle Cote Villa, Calibishie Unsafe

Anchorage, Alaska
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Belle Cote Villa, Calibishie Unsafe

On February 2, 2011, our first night in Dominica and at Belle Cote Villa, we were also robbed when an intruder broke into the locked house while we were sleeping. ALL the doors and windows were locked and yet he still got in. Either he has a key or this house is an unbelievably easy target. We found out that our incident was at least the 5th time the house has been broken into, all with a similar pattern and similar description of the intruder. The owner maintains, each time this happens, that he carries no fault and continues to blame it on careless guests. Another interesting pattern. The area has had many problems and similar break-ins yet neighbors have installed better security and haven't been hit as often or as consistently as Belle Cote Villa. We were there for eight long days, having been unable to find another place that would work for our family of 6, which includes 4 children under the age of 12. My husband and I ended up sleeping on the floor downstairs outside the kids' rooms for the entire time we were there. Needless to say we did not get much sleep nor any sympathy from the owner.

The reason for posting this is so that nobody else has to go through the stress and anxiety we experienced when you wake up to see someone dashing through your bedroom while you are asleep.

The owner tells me that he is not renting this house anymore. I don't really believe him or anyone else in the Calibishie area. The area is hostile to guests and we felt very uncomfortable the entire time we were there. Perhaps we were influenced by what happened that first night, but we think it runs deeper. We have traveled all over the world and to many poor, third world countries so we are not inexperienced travelers.

Be wary of Dominica and of Calibishie in particular. And do not, under any circumstances, stay at Belle Cote Villa.

Ontario
Level Contributor
138 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belle Cote Villa, Calibishie Unsafe

I am very sorry to hear about your terrible experience. The criminal element can wreck a vacation anywhere in the world. I pray the culprit is caught. My own experiences in Calibishie have been positive. I enjoyed the community, felt safe and would return.

Southfield, Michigan
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Belle Cote Villa, Calibishie Unsafe

I concur with iamcan. I would hope that you have reported this to the US Embassy. They do keep track of incidents and will issue advisories where needed.

Southfield, Michigan
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Belle Cote Villa, Calibishie Unsafe

This review posted March 31, 2011 of another Calibishie establishment troubles me.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g635961-d141497…

I would hope that the Honorable Ian Douglas, Minister of Tourism and Legal Affairs and/or his staff have taken notice. You have a problem when tourist rooms are being invaded on a regular basis. Ask St. Lucia about that.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
603 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belle Cote Villa, Calibishie Unsafe

test.

Edited: 04 April 2011, 20:58
Southfield, Michigan
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Belle Cote Villa, Calibishie Unsafe

The USA Department of State has updated it's country specific page for Dominica.

…state.gov/travel/…crime

I'm disappointed at the apparent ignorance of the Prime Minister and his Cabinet concerning this potential threat to the tourism industry.

This would not stop me from visiting/staying in the Calibishie area. I suspect the result in the end will be like what happened on St. Lucia at some of the lodging facilities. That included fencing to keep out the locals and round the clock security.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belle Cote Villa, Calibishie Unsafe

We considered staying at Belle Cote this month and when we decided we were going to reserve our week the owners decided they were going to put it up for sale. We were very disappointed. However, e are staying at Sea Cliff Cottages which I've seen nothing but excellent reviews. I'm sorry you had a terrible experience.

Home, Kansas
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Belle Cote Villa, Calibishie Unsafe

This is an isolated problem with Belle Cote Villa. The Calibishie area is very safe and friendly. Theft is MUCH lower than in all European cities, where no one worries about it. I stay in Calibishie a few times a year and have friends in the area. Go enjoy the gorgeous beaches and coastline and don't worry. You might want to pick a guesthouse or hotel with some staff, though, to help you find your way around.

8. Re: Belle Cote Villa, Calibishie Unsafe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 17:16