We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9D8N: Dominica, Antigua, St. Kitts

Haverford...
Level Contributor
256 posts
1 review
Save Topic
9D8N: Dominica, Antigua, St. Kitts

Hello,

My wife and I have a trip booked next February. We're due to fly into Dominica and fly out of St. Kitts eight days later. We're thinking of hopping from Dominica - Antigua - St. Kitts on LIAT.

About us:

We're B&B people, not resort people.

We prefer to be hiking than lying on the beach.

We love diving, birdwatching and natural beauty.

My question is: Given the fact we have eight nights, how would you recommend that we divide the time between these three destinations. My initial inclination is either:

Dom 3, Ant 2, St. K 3 OR

Dom 4, Ant 2, St. K 2

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Europe
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9D8N: Dominica, Antigua, St. Kitts

If your loves are hiking and natural beauty I would make the majority of your stay in Dominica. I would just do one day in the other two places having visited them as well.

Dominica
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9D8N: Dominica, Antigua, St. Kitts

From what you say about your likes and dislikes, after Dominica, St Kitts and Antigua will certainly be disappointing. You may even regret leaving Dominica to visit these islands.

London
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 9D8N: Dominica, Antigua, St. Kitts

I second what the previous posters have said. Having visited all three islands and considering you would rather hike than lie on a beach then definitely spend the majority of your time in Dominica.

Haverford...
Level Contributor
256 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 9D8N: Dominica, Antigua, St. Kitts

Thanks very much, everyone.

I think we'll likely opt for:

5 nights in Dominica

1-2 nights in Antigua

1-2 nights in Saint Kitts

Any thoughts on Nevis? If we were to spend 2 nights in Saint Kitts, we might consider a ferry to Nevis for the day/night.

Edited: 11 April 2011, 22:34
London
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 9D8N: Dominica, Antigua, St. Kitts

I haven't been to Nevis but whilst you are there you may as well consider it. 5 days in Dominica is much better than three. Guaranteed you'll want to go back for more several weeks to explore/hike some more.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9D8N: Dominica, Antigua, St. Kitts

I concur with the other posts-If you like nature and hiking there is not another island to compare to Dominica for its natural beauty and myriad of hiking trails.

You say you are B&B type of people-if so may I suggest ''Sea Cliff Cottages'' these are self-catering cottages just outside of Calibishie on the north coast of Dominica.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9D8N: Dominica, Antigua, St. Kitts

Honestly? Do one night in Antigua and no more. It is a boring island that you'll get the gist of from one simple taxi journey from the airport to your B&B. Flat, dry and expensive. Most of the island is owned by rich foreign nationals and the trouble is it shows, in fact the prices have me scrambling to get off the island each time I transit. They can't wait to rip you off, you share a cab with a bunch of strangers going to the same destivation, or nearby and they still charge you the same as though you have it to yourself. They like USD so I always make sure I have only ECD. It's not their fault they live in such an expensive place, but still.

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 9D8N: Dominica, Antigua, St. Kitts

Your final itinerary sounds ideal. And yes, I suggest that ferry ride to Nevis for a day - it is only a 45 minute ride. The ferry from the Peninsula will take you just 15 minutes. Caribbean Paradise Realty offers upscale accommodation both in St Kitts and Dominica: visit www.caribbeanparadiserealty.net for further info.

9. Re: 9D8N: Dominica, Antigua, St. Kitts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Dominica