We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best General Location to Stay

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
3 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Best General Location to Stay

We are making our first trip to Dominica for a 10 day trip in January 2013. We don't want to switch hotels a lot (if at all), but we do want to see the majority of the sights. We will have a rental car, and are not concerned by the road conditions since we live in a place ourselves that would terrify many to drive in.

We were thinking of staying midway up the West Coast, probably a 30 minute drive N of Roseau near Mero. Would this be a reasonable point that would make it doable to drive to most locations in a reasonable time?

We vacationed in Costa Rica last year and the roads we went on (dont tell our rental car company) were probably way above and beyond what most people would venture on. Dominica looks to be a lot easier, but it's hard to say never having been there.

We are not city people at all, and looking to mainly do hiking and exploration, maybe some fishing.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best General Location to Stay

We stayed in the Calibishie area (Sea Cliff Cottages) during our 10 day stay on Dominica.

Sea Cliff Cottages was the perfect base for our stay-well equipped, self catering cottages with great views and a wonderful beach (Hodges Beach) at the base of the cliff below the cottages with a fresh water river running into the ocean.

Being in the north did put us a bit of a drive from the sites in the south but we found it to not be a big deal.

There is a lot to see and do in the immediate area.

If you are renting a car it may be a good idea to get one of the 4x4 jeeps available (we rented from Courtesy car rental)

Remeber driving is on the left and roads are EXTREMELY twisting and mountainous. We had not much trouble navigating but it is definately not for the faint of heart!!!

If you like nature you will love Dominica!!!!!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,658 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best General Location to Stay

Yes I'd favour Mero over Calibishie. It's clearly more central, though still more suited for the places in the Southern half and Centre than for the places in the north of the island. Ideal would be 2 bases, one around Roseau Valley or even a bit south of that and the other on Calibishie-Portsmouth axis.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
3 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best General Location to Stay

We were looking at Courtesy Car Rentals as well, so I think I'll go ahead and do that. We are really looking forward to our trip for sure. I actually checked into the Sea Cliff Cottages but they were booked solid for when we were going.

I actually ended up booking an apartment near Mero which looks extremely nice for a great price, but we may end switching placed half way through for easier access to the North/Portsmouth.

Thanks again!!

pa
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best General Location to Stay

We spent 5 days in Dominica as a side trip from St Lucia this past Feb.

We had a rental and had no trouble getting around, I think STL roads were worse, (condition and curves and hills).

We've been to CR as well and the roads there are worse than Dom too, didn't find any dirt main roads in Dom.

At least you won't have frost heaves to deal with! I spent 3yrs in AK @ EAFB, so I remember those.

I think Mero would be a good base, you'll be driving to different attractions each day, and if you want to relax it's got a nice beach to kick back on, most other beaches are rocky.

Roseau, Saint...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Best General Location to Stay

Sunset Bay Club is approximately 30 mins drive to Roseau. It is located on the West Coast of the Island.

Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best General Location to Stay

As mentioned on another response - best could be having 2 spots - one more to the north (Plymouth area, like Secret Bay), and another perhaps near Roseau. You can access different parts of island from these two areas, and it may be more convenient than using only one location.

If only one location, Roseau seems to be located most conveniently to reach all roads around.

If in Roseau (which is fun little town!), i would suggest Fort Young hotel, which really is a decent accomodation with a swimming pool.

If you would rather try west AND east coast - a nice small place near Calibishie run by a very cool Britton called Bay View could give you quick access to ocean (with a bay, so you can swim even on East side), and be a bit tucked away from trhe town itself.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best General Location to Stay

I would recommend splitting the trip between the north and the south of the island. In the north I loved staying at CoffeeRiver www.coffeeriverdominica.com/; it's very close to the airport, a unique architectural spot with beautiful gardens and a lovely & refreshing swimming hole. Quite secluded, so you should hire a car to get the most out of your stay here.

In the south, I thoroughly enjoyed Scott's Head, a small fishing village with a great snorkel-from-the beach spot and a few little cafes. Nightlife, groceries and shopping are an inexpensive and easy (6am-8pm) bus ride to Roseau or Soufriere.

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best General Location to Stay

Well it looks like everyone has given good advice. I stayed at the Sea Cliff Lodges for 10 days, but the drive to see the island from there was a bit much. I also used Courtesy Car Rental.

My wife and I own property on the southwest of the island because we love the dramatic scenery and not into the beach scene. Calibishie area has the best beaches and are typically tourist free.

However, I would recommend staying in the middle, like Sunset Bay Resort. I stopped and ate there many times and wish I had stayed there since it was centrally located, about equal distance to Portsmouth (Fort Shirley) and Roseau (Markets). It also is easy to cross the island there to the Carib Territory.

I grew up in the mountains of West Virginia with narrow windy roads without guardrails so I actually looked forward to the challenge when I got there. The roads will challenge you, and scare you. They are narrow, have deep trenches, have high weeds that encroach, and everyone drives in the center of the one lane roads. You will encounter the occasional cow too.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 06 December 2012, 19:36
9. Re: Best General Location to Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 19:17
Get answers to your questions about Dominica