We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
764 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay

I know this was asked before, but I am going to throw this out there again, to see if there are new/ different opinions. Where is the " best " location to be central , or at least easiest access to the best things to see and do? We would not be opposed to dividing our time up into different spots. But I can't seem to get it down to at at 3 central ares. We probably will rent a car. I am reading about road construction making the travel a bit longer? Thinking of Calibishe for the last couple nights before flying out of Melville. Thanks!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,651 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay

Hi there,

I'd really split in 2 bases at least. Calibishie is great for the northern half of the island, including Portsmouth etc. - but a bit too far (2 hours one way) for many sights in the south. Another base would be in or near the Roseau valley, for all the great sights and hikes there...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
764 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay

Thanks! Does Jungle Bay, then maybe, Cocoa Cottages, then Callibishe Lodges sound like too much moving around? This would be for 7 nights divided. Deciding on a renting a car versus taking a taxi and using guided excursions from each property.

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
764 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay

By the way, we are planning on some moderate hikes, waterfall pool swimming, hot springs,and definitely snorkeling. Maybe get in some whale- watching.

Europe
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay

I would stay around the Roseau area for hiking, snorkeling, hot pools etc - these are all within 10 minutes drive or so. I would only split your trip into two - west coast and east coast. I would not recommend driving for such a short stay - you can easily sort out excursions with the places you decide to stay at.

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
764 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay

See, this is where I get confused. Split between North and South or split between the East and West? Or stay Roseau Valley and cover the south east and west? Then for at least for part of the stay, the north for the rest?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,651 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay

Well actually the main touristic areas are north-east (Calibishie as one of the hubs) vs. southwest (Roseau Valley), hence our answers point in the same direction...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Salisbury
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay

Without doubt, the best location in Dominica is the mid west coast - Salisbury, Macoucherie, Mero and thereabouts. The west coast sea is calm, clear, safe - protected from prevailing wind from the east - and great for snorkelling or diving. Here you can enjoy the beaches and sunsets every day and with a vehicle rental, nowhere in Dominica is too far for a day's excursion.

8. Re: Best area to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Dominica