We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Suggestions

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Suggestions

My wife and I have a very limited time (4 full days) available in Dominica. We are staying at Pagua Bay in the NE and have a SUV. We are both very active and avid backpackers/hikers.

Our current thoughts are to spend:

1. A day driving around the island, visiting beaches, towns, markets, sights, etc. I am looking for interesting diversions, must-see's, quick hikes, beaches not-to-miss. Thoughts?

2. A day hiking to the Boiling Lake and the Titou Gorge. I intend to do this without a guide. Is the trailhead easy to find? Directions from Laudat?

3. Another day hiking, but where? What shouldn't be missed? A hike to the top of the Mornes Trois Pitons? A section or two of the Waitukubuli trail? Middleham or Victoria Falls? Glassy Trail? Others?

4. A beach day. Would prefer having a bar/restaurant at the beach, but aren't opposed to hiking to a secluded cove either. OK with either waves or snorkeling. Any recommendations?

Lastly, any restaurant recommendations? Interested in local cuisine/restaurants or a nice bottle of wine and a romantic dinner.

Thanks in advance.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,617 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Hi there,

Only partial answers.

1] The native Indian reserve a bit south of airport is nice.

2] DON'T do without guide. The start of the trail is well indicated yes but the remainder is challenging, and the guide has a walking pole and enough knowledge of the area to 'poke' and find the strong and weak spots in the earth, even in what is normally the path. Setting foot on a weak spot costs you a 3rd degree burn on your foot and half of your leg, and rescue operations there aren't easy to organise :-(((

3] The falls in the Roseau valley offer nice views and treks too.

4] Champagne bay beach?

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
3 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

We are extreme outdoor enthusiasts and spend a lot of time hiking and exploring the wilderness in Alaska where we live. I think nothing of spending 2 weeks in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I also was not planning on a guide for the Boiling Lake, but after seeing it I think it's beneficial. There are several spots that the trail becomes hard to pick up, and a guide is more or a drastic time saver than a necessity. You will more than likely waste time searching for things, and you most certainly will miss some of the warm pools that you can soak in without someone who can point them out.

More than likely it would be fine, but I'm glad we got one, and we are not the "hire a guide" type of people. It was cheap, $20, and the lady who we paid parking to called her son and he went with us.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Thanks AKGirl.

Is the trailhead difficult to find? easiy to find from Laudat? think I will just "wing it at the parking lot" ... if someone's available great, if not, so be it. I was expecting more than $20. is that per person?

Any other ideas while on the island? favorites/recommendations? hikes, restaraunts, markets, cities, etc.?

Gasquet
Level Contributor
69 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Consider buying "Dominica" by Paul Crask, Bradt publishing. I do believe even the shortest trail on the island is listed...there are dozens and having a guide book with good maps was essential.

Gasquet
Level Contributor
69 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Hi again WeekFree, more time now...consider exploring the Atlantic side..Climb down the cliffs to the coastal waterfall of Wavine Cyrique, Hike to Secrect Beach [we went here, some very narrow, steep sketchy trail but the end is fantastic!!] , Sari Sari Falls and Morgan River falls are in that area also.

Up north more, we hiked in to Spanny's Falls. Sweet. Easy. Nice little bar sells "cask" [local made] rum, all kinds...a couple shots and a nice walk!! It takes a long time to drive anywhere, I advise see/do what you can when you are there as you might not get back...Dominica is honestly a Nature's Lovers Paradise, trails, hot springs, and falls everywhere!! No bugs. The falls you listed are prob more visited than the lesser know ones, we opted not to go to Victoria Falls as it involved a whole day...saw them from a distance! We were there for 2 weeks, and would go back in a minute!

6. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Dominica