We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving trip with young child

Midlands
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Diving trip with young child

Hi all,

My husband and I plus another diving couple are planning a trip to Dominica.

We would like to explore the rainforest but also go diving. The difficulty we have is our 2 year old will be with us, which means we either need a flexible dive centre that will allow us to alternate dives or accommodation with childminding options.

Any advice or tips please?

Thanks

Midlands
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving trip with young child

Also any tips on where to stay and what should be on our must see like for the land focused part of our itinerary would be appreciated. We're happy to hike with our little one in our backpack and he loves nature but I guess a really hard work all day hike would not be much fun with the little one in tow.

Nuevo Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving trip with young child

As an adventurous parent of two young children myself (6.5 and almost 2) I have learned that there are certain things you just have to put off until your child is a bit older. I definitely understand the desire to get out there and do everything you're used to- but think of it: Do you really want to alternate dive times or leave your child with a stranger? Can do a quick hike in between breakfast and nap time, or deal with carrying an overheated child through the tropics?

I know there may be plenty of people who say they did all these active sports with a baby or toddler in tow, but come on now, don't push it. I would go and plan to spend the bulk of your time relaxing with your child on the beach, and not set your expectations too high when it comes to other things- if you don't get to go, who cares? The other idea would be to have the other couple watch your child while you dive or hike, or bring along a parent, relative or nanny who is happy to watch baby while you do other things.

Midlands
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving trip with young child

Hi

Thanks for your comments I appreciate your point of view but it won't be the first time we've travelled and dived with our son. We travelled long haul when he was just 6 months old to the tropics. He had great fun in the pool, on the beach and was fine in the heat. We travelled with the same group and managed some dives then to by alternating. So we know what to expect and will always put his needs first but believe we can do that and still do some of the things we enjoy.

Midlands
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving trip with young child

Hi

Thanks for your comments I appreciate your point of view but it won't be the first time we've travelled and dived with our son. We travelled long haul when he was just 6 months old to the tropics. He had great fun in the pool, on the beach and was fine in the heat. We travelled with the same group and managed some dives then to by alternating. So we know what to expect and will always put his needs first but believe we can do that and still do some of the things we enjoy.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving trip with young child

You may want to visit the Southern part of Dominica called Scott's Head. There is a Dive Centre (Nature Island Dive 767-449-8181 in Soufriere which offers lots of watersports activities. You would also enjoy doing segment one or two of the Waitikubuli National Trail.

I could also recommend staying at Castille Paradise (castilleparadise@gmail.com) which is an apartment located in upper Scott's Head near the beginning of segment 1 of the Trail. This area is peaceful and quiet and you would enjoy a great view of the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea at the same time.

Gasquet
Level Contributor
69 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving trip with young child

Take your son and Go!!

Our experience in Dominica, is that it is replete with children... they flood the streets and villages going and returning from school...every small business, cafes etc will always have children in and out. Dominican's seem very family orientated, and I cannot imagine that you will find anything but support and assistance wherever and whenever you need it. There are dozens of shorter hiking trails to explore! Very doable with a 2 year old in a good hiking pack. We bumped into a European couple with their lil guy on several outings..he was about 3. While not divers, we used Anchorage Dive Centre Castle Comfort [just south of Roseau} for a wonderful whale watching trip. I did not view the rooms, but the layout was real nice, right on the water [no beach], nice pool and veranda area. Looked like a good option for what you describe. All lodgings will assist you with what ever it is you need to figure out. Dominicans are incredible helpful people if you allow them to be.

Midlands
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving trip with young child

Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated!

NJ
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Diving trip with young child

If you check out the Ft. Young Website, it does indicate that it has children programs- and I think babysitting services for a fee. We stay there for a day or two and have done since our now 12 year old was one, but have never used the children program. The pool is nice, the rooms are clean and comfortable, they have highchairs, pack-n-play, etc. I see a lot of divers there...I am sure you can arrange something for the scheduling of your dives.

It might also be nice to consider Sisserou Villa & Lodge. It is a self catering place - which can provide a little more space for you and your littleone, as well as let you prepare foods in a little more comfort. It has a new pool, and I imagine if you contact the proprietor in advance, she may be able to help you with a sitter/nannie, as she has three children of her own. It has AMAZING views.

We have hiked with our kids in the backpack carrier over the years and have been able to enjoy many of the easier ones. If you choose to take some more adventurous hikes, you may need a guide. Scotts Head is a favorite calm area where you can take your little one to swim in the sea/marina, it has a very quick trail up to Ft. Cachacrou with a great view. Keep in mind that there are no lifeguards that I am aware of on any beach, so a life jacket for your littleone would be a good idea.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 21 March 2013, 15:31
Connecticut
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Diving trip with young child

I am headed there in March, with an 11 year old. Like you I am hoping to dive, alternating days with my husband and also hiking. How did your trip go? Do you have any advice? I am interested because your trip seems similar. Where did you stay? How was the diving? Did you make it North? Since I have next to no diving experience, I'm hoping to dive with a shop that is not crowded, and can take one on one time. thank you for any input you might have!

10. Re: Diving trip with young child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Dominica