We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominica in Semana Santa?

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dominica in Semana Santa?

Does anyone know if Dominica gets more crowded during Semana Santa (Holy Week) each year? It happens with small islands and hotels in Puerto Rico and other parts of the Caribbean and we wuld like to avoid the crowds for a trip next year when Semana Sante is the same week as our wedding anniversary.

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dominica in Semana Santa?

Are you sure that you don't mean the Dominican Republic?

Dominica is a relatively small, English speaking island in the Eastern Caribbean, whereas the Dominican Republic is the eastern half of a much larger island in the Greater Antilles. The two are about 500 miles (800 kilometres) apart.

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dominica in Semana Santa?

Yes, I meant Dominica. My worry is that many people in the Caribbean and in other latin american countries with a full week vacation in Semana Santa will go to Dominica (not the Dominican Republic) and crowd it. I was thinking of moving our vacation one week to avoid this problem.

Southfield, Michigan
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dominica in Semana Santa?

Never seen any indication that would be an issue. Now if you were talking about Carnival, that would be different. Dominica isn't really a tourist destination for Latin Americans because of logistical and political issues, real and/or imagined.

Calibishie, Dominica
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dominica in Semana Santa?

Nope. Not a factor at all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dominica in Semana Santa?

I don't think that Dominica is ever overcrowded. It proibably has the lowest population density of any island in the Eastern Caribbean, and I've never heard of large numbers of people, from anywhere, going there for Holy Week.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dominica in Semana Santa?

Sorry, that should say probably.

7. Re: Dominica in Semana Santa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Dominica
Recent Conversations