We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time needed to clear customs in San Juan on return flight?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
103 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Time needed to clear customs in San Juan on return flight?

I'm in the very early stages of planning a trip to Dominica next winter (Feb 2015) & am finding the best/easiest way to get there is thru San Juan. I'm planning to overnight there on the way down so no worry about customs, etc. My question is the return trip--if we can leave Dominica & arrive in San Juan before continuing on to Dulles, how much time do I need? I haven't made the flight reservations yet as I'm concerned about this. I realize it's going to be a very long day of travel but if we can do it all in one day, that's what I'm inclined to do. May be a mistake? If anyone has done this, let me know your feelings either way. We'll be coming home on a Friday & looks like we have several options for flights back. From what I've read, I think I'll stay away from LIAT.

Southfield, Michigan
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Time needed to clear customs in San Juan on return flight?

The biggest issue will be how many other flights/people arrive at the same time you do. That's hard to know this far out and even closer in predicting arrivals can be difficult.

What is under your control. Don't bring back food, plants, cuban stuff, interesting meds etc. Alcohol in checked bags. Know what items you purchased and the value in $USA.. Have passport/tickets at the ready. If you know what you're doing you may get to use the other lines(forgot what it's called). I was allowed in those lines and basically just walked through the Federal Inspection.

However, don't count on it. A quick search shows people recommend at least 90 minutes to transit through the SJU airport on entry. Add more time if you like less stress.

As for LIAT, anyone considering them(I see you aren't) right now should be searching the news. Things look like they be going from not so good to ...

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
103 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time needed to clear customs in San Juan on return flight?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to take this into consideration when making the reservation.

We don't bring back much of anything but a t-shirt or two so no worries.

Bismarck, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time needed to clear customs in San Juan on return flight?

What Beachlovers9 said. We just returned through San Juan and customs took less than 10 minutes. It looked like it was just our flight going through at that time. Could be a different story depending on scheduling of flights. Give yourself extra time and enjoy your trip. Just a thought, you might have better weather in March. We just returned from Dominica, 14th-21st and had perfect weather. Mostly sunny with a perfect 5-10 minute break from the sun mixed here and there. Our guide said it had been cloudy and raining since Christmas up until that week.

4. Re: Time needed to clear customs in San Juan on return flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 05:17