We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need for A/C in June?

Ellicott City...
1 post
Save Topic
Need for A/C in June?

My family of four are looking into a week stay in Dominica this June or July. I would like to stay in an eco-lodge type resort, but other members of the family are concerned that it will be too hot and buggy that time of year to stay in at a resort with just mosquito netting and no A/C. They are specifically concerned about getting a good nights sleep. I know opinions on what is required for a good nights sleep will vary greatly, but can anyone comment on how the weather is that time of year and how comfortable it is staying in a non-climate controlled resort? Thanks in advance.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,660 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need for A/C in June?

Hi there,

You could as well ask 'is ketchup an essential addition to Caribbean food'? ;-) And also get quite opposing answers, subjectivity all around here. But just to give the limited objective info and for the rest our subjective pick:

* Weather is 'monsoon-like season', but assuming no hurricanes come nearby it simply means a bit more humid (except directly after showers) and hot (but still never above 35' C) than in winter.

* But, being an island, there is always some breeze from either East or West to keep the temps moderate-for-tropical-standards

Then our pick, being owners of a 2nd home on a similar island and staying there for shorter periods year round. Not having AC (solely fans and nets) and not wanting it either. Our guidelines, also when we travel to other hot countries:

* AC would only become almost essential if daytime temps get above 40', like in a desert (think Utah-Nevada in summer) _or_ air pollution is extreme

* But even then, if the architecture of the building is tropical-aware which e.g. means small windows and good isolating roofs, I can manage quite well with a fan as long as nighttime temps get below 30' even if daytime outside is 40' - e.g. the Indian plains on the edges of summer

Dominica as said does not have too much air pollution and temps never above 35', hence as long as the room has good electric fans (ceiling or standing) we would gladly live without AC. But it all depends on one's conditioning, many Americans and many wealthy Asians are so AC-conditioned that they would not be able to bring themselves to sleep without it...

All he best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need for A/C in June?

I live on a Caribbean not far from Dominica and just recently return for a trip to Dominica.

I can tell you that in June it does get warm on both islands. Think Day time highs in the high 80's to low 90's F. Breezes drop off considerably at that time of year and that plus the higher humidity can make it feel "sweaty".

Dominica is very mountainous and places in the upper elevations can be considerably cooler then in the lowlands, especially in the evenings. How cool it might get in the evening at the "eco-lodge" where you are staying will depend a lot on where it is located.

I can't tell you that you'll be comfortable without A/C. I can only tell you that after living in the Caribbean for 12 years we don't use our A/C very much at all in late fall, early spring or winter but starting in mid-April, during the summer and into mid-October hardly a day goes by where we don't turn the A/C on in mid-afternoon and keep the one in our bedroom going all night.

If you are use to sleeping with A/C not having it will be problematic during the summer anywhere in the Caribbean.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need for A/C in June?

Great answer- thanks! I am considering Dominica for mid February next year so I am thinking perhaps we will be ok with no AC at that time?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
27 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need for A/C in June?

we were just there in early may. you definitely want a/c.

5. Re: Need for A/C in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Dominica