We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best honeymoon spot in Dominica

Which Roseau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
The best honeymoon spot in Dominica

Hi, I am from Florida and my fiance and I are planning to travel to Dominica for our honeymoon in March, and not sure where is the best place to stay. Unfortunately we are only staying for 5 days and 4 nights, but want to go canyoning, kayaking and hiking. So we don't want to stay somewhere to crowded or where lots of children are. Somewhere secluded and romantic would be great! A friend recommended Jungle Bay, but it is a little pricey, if its worth it though and the food is great and then I don't mind, but I would hate to be disappointed. Any help would be great, on my research I came upon Calibishie Lodges, Cocoa Cottages, Beau Rive and Crescent Moon. Has anyone stayed at any of these places?

Thank you for all your help!!

Help The Honeymooners

Dominica Nature...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: The best honeymoon spot in Dominica

Hey Honeymooners,

All the places that you mentioned are highly recommended. What I would caution is that Dominica is an island but is pretty big and mountainous so it can take some time to get from one place to another. Jungle Bay, Calibishe Lodges and Beau Rive are all WONDERFUL experiences, but these are all between 30 minutes - 1 hour away from kayaking. Hiking is good all over the island so thats not an issue really. Cocoa Cottages has a honeymoon suite, and they are the ones who do the canyoning tours, so you might want to consider that. Prices - well you know your budget. Jungle Bay's packages are all inclusive, with food, activities and massages at the spa wrapped in, so they may not be so pricey when you take that into consideration, and of the hotels that are further from the kayaking, they are the closest. Hope this helps!

Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The best honeymoon spot in Dominica

Thank you for your help, I am considering more and more Jungle Bay, considering it is all wrapped in one price, it isn't so pricey. However, my fiance is a little bummed about not going canyoning, but he likes Jungle Bay's lodges better than Cocoa Cottages.

Thank you again for your advice.

Dominica Nature...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The best honeymoon spot in Dominica

I don't think that staying at Jungle Bay will necessarily mean that you won't be able to go canyoning... check it out. Ask some questions. I'm sure something can be arranged.

San Francisco...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The best honeymoon spot in Dominica

Helllo,

I just got back from my honeymoon in Dominica. It was fantastic. We stayed in 2 different places, on for scuba diving and then moved onto Papillote Wilderness retreat for the "on land" portion of our trip. I would really recommend Papillote. It is an amazingly beautiful property right by Trafalger Falls. It has gorgeous gardens, natural hot springs and waterfalls all on the property. The prices were quite reasonable. They do have packages if you want guided tours, but we just did our own thing and hired Alfred (they guy who coordinates tours there) just as needed like for the Boiling Lake hike.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The best honeymoon spot in Dominica

Hello: i stay in Calibishie lodges, not on a honeymoon, just a normal holiday.I love the place and the area so much, reason: in this area you have white sand beaches and in this part of the island they film the movie: Pirates Of The Caribbean. I find it's the most beautifull part of the island.

About Calibishie lodges: it's a small hotel with nice view over the villages and mountains and the staff give the guest a wonderfull stay: when you go home: it looks like you come a part of them.

That's my experience.

United States
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best honeymoon spot in Dominica

My wife and I spend our honeymoom at Jungle Bay. It was technically out of our price range too, but decided to go for it since it was our honeymoon. That was last June, and even this past weekend we were talking about how it was the best decision we could have made for our honeymoon. We absolutely loved it. I will promise you one thing...you will NOT be disappointed. It will be well worth the money. Thats not to say there isnt other great places to stay in Dominica, but I seriously doubt anywhere else comes close to JB as far as luxury. The cabins are quite secluded (and romantic) and I am sure you'd love them.

The only caveat I see is the canyoning and kayaking. As someone said earlier, JB does not offer canyoning, but I'm sure they could arrange it for you. The kayaking trip they offer is probably not going to leave you satisfied either. You kayak about 200-300 yards to a snorkeling spot, snorkel, then kayak back. Its not much. Its on the Atlantic side of the island so it wasnt calm (but not rough). If you were talking about river kayaking then you are probably out of luck. There are a lot of rivers in Dominica but I doubt any big enough to river kayak.

The hiking is great, though. Do not miss the Boiling Lake hike. Ravine Cyrique and Zom Zom trail were also great hikes.

7. Re: The best honeymoon spot in Dominica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 04:19