We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I rent a car?

Which Roseau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Should I rent a car?

I'm traveling with two friends to Dominica in November for five days. I have heard how challenging can get to drive from point A to point B... I would like to plan some driving around on our own but I don't want to get lost or worst. Should I spend more money on transportation organized by our hotel (to and from airport, sightseeing, etc) or gives me more freedom and leaves more money in my pocket to rent a car?

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I rent a car?

How lost can you get???

Its not like the island is that big-rent a car from Courtesy Rent a Car.

florida
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I rent a car?

This is an island, you can't really get lost. Be prepared for narrow roads, British drive and very few signs. However, the people will be glad to help you get to where you want to go, and the experience you have getting there is awesome!! Take you time, enjoy scenery never before seen and the satisfaction of being able to say," I drove in Dominica,"

Its a ball, and you will see things you never dreamed of. We've been there 4 times and love it, love exploring and discovering, even getting a little off the beaten path, and finding our way home again!

dallas
Level Contributor
50 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I rent a car?

When I went years back, all cars drove standard and not automatic, you had to drive on the left side of the road, the roads were winding with several blind spots, and the rain gutters were huge enough to accidentally drop part of your car in and sustain major damage. Although, your hotel may not always take you to some beautiful hideaways. I remember sheer drop-offs on the side of the road where there were no barriers to protect you. The reason for the lack of barriers and huge rain gutters is due to the volume of rain in the rainforest. So the question you must ask yourself is "Am I confident enough to attempt this?" If you are, you will have the time of your life. If not, then save your money from possible damage.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
512 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I rent a car?

Canyoning is soo much fun - it is one of the most fun vacation adventures ever - you can see som eof our photos www.thurmankolb.com - click on Dominica. We went with Extreme Dominica - Jeffrey & Richard are the best ! you can get more specific canyoning info at www.cocoacottages.com

Screw's Sulphur Springs was also a highlight. It is in the town/ village of Woton Waven.

We lived in the USVI for 10 years and I'm experienced driving on the left, with hair pins turns, etc... and driving in Dominica was a challenge for me most definitely. No way I'd want to do it after dark and no way I'd try after a beer.

5. Re: Should I rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2010, 05:18