We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day visit - any ideas for what to do ??

Which Roseau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
boston
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
day visit - any ideas for what to do ??

We are visiting on a cruise ship and dont particularly want to take the offered day trip and wonder if anyone can recommend anything to do?

May be you know a good local guide that would be more interesting ?

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day visit - any ideas for what to do ??

Go back in this forum there are several suggestions for good tour guides to do a one day island tour.

We stated for a week and rented a car but if you are there for just the day it would be best to hire a car and driver as it is not really easy to find your way around.

boston
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day visit - any ideas for what to do ??

thanks will go back through the forum

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
512 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: day visit - any ideas for what to do ??

Canyoning is soo much fun - it is one of the most fun vacation adventures ever - you can see som eof our photos www.thurmankolb.com - click on Dominica. We went with Extreme Dominica - Jeffrey & Richard are the best ! you can get more specific canyoning info at www.cocoacottages.com

Screw's Sulphur Springs was also a highlight. It is in the town/ village of Woton Waven. Both are in Roseau Valley and not too far apart.

Be sur eyou have enough time - if you call ahead I'm sure someone would meet you at the cruise ship dockand customize the trip if need be.

Call them and ask..

Tel: (767) 448 0412

Cell: (767) 276-2920

PS - Do not rent a car. We lived in the USVI for 10 years and I'm experienced driving on the left, with hair pins turns, etc... and driving in Dominica was a challenge for me most definitely. No way I'd want to do it after dark and no way I'd try after a beer.

boston
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day visit - any ideas for what to do ??

THank you for all this valuable information we will have everything at our finger tips now when we arrive at these ports during our cruise away from the UK winter !! Thanks again

Owensboro
Level Contributor
104 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day visit - any ideas for what to do ??

How about a whale/dolphin watch tour? Captain Jerry is an 30 year experienced fishing boat/tour captain (two boats). For $50/$60 US pp he will give you a three hour tour. Do a search for Island Style Dominica. We booked with him for our October cruise stop. He looks very knowledge, his boats look safe, and his family is lovely to talk with via email.

They'll meet you near the ship a docking, so you actually have time to do more than one tour if you wish.

Karen in Kentucky

6. Re: day visit - any ideas for what to do ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 19:42
boston
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day visit - any ideas for what to do ??

Hi

Many thanks for that info and i will post it onto our cruise web site we are only on the island for one day but want to see something of it in that short time. How lucky to be able to spend 6 months on this lovely island!!

Thank you again for responding.

England
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day visit - any ideas for what to do ??

Only got one day then you really ought to get a local taxi/tour operator take you around. Maybe share with another couple,assuming there are only two of you of course.

Rent a car at your peril as the roads leave a lot to be desired and you will be driving onyour wrong side of the road!

Local tour operator Amtours among others.

Check www.avirtual/dominica.com/whattodo.cfm

cleveland
Level Contributor
92 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day visit - any ideas for what to do ??

Just got back from our cruise and spent a day here. A local tour company bumping tours was amazing. Only six of us on the tour. Picked up at the pier by Gary who had a cooler full of beer, water and soda and up to the rainforest we went. Our first stop was a hike (it was about 1.5 hours up, started at 10,000 feet and went to 24,000 feet but well worth it) ended up at the falls and swam at the base. Amazing!!! Along the way our guide pointed out different birds and plant life. The temp in the rainforest was about 65 degrees and due to the bats and frogs no bugs. Second stop tutu gorge, the most beautiful thing I've ever done. Jump into a very cold body of water, swim through a hole in the rocks and beauty awaits. On either side of you it's shear rock and at the end another waterfull to stand under, we didn't want to leave but, on to stop three. Natural Hot springs. I would recommend this tour to anyone. This isn't offered by any ship and for $60p/p and being in a small group it can't be beat

10. Re: day visit - any ideas for what to do ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2010, 05:16