We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting off Cruise ship in April...Need help on what to do:)

Nashville, Tennessee
10 posts
Save Topic
Getting off Cruise ship in April...Need help on what to do:)

We will have from 8am to 4pm and I'd love some advice on how my husband and I can spend our day in Dominica. Thanks!!!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,992 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting off Cruise ship in April...Need help on what to do:)

Hi there,

a) Specifying what your tastes are (e.g. natural beauty/hiking, native culture, snorkel and beach) is a help

b) With that, browse almost all posts on this first page. Each gives pieces of info; e.g. lots of nice nature and hikes (aerial tram, Trafalgar falls, Emerald Pool) and nice culture (Indian reserve on east coast) and also - limited - beach options.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

virginia beach, va
Level Contributor
121 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting off Cruise ship in April...Need help on what to do:)

We went on a self-designed tour with Levi Baron of Bumpiing Tours - website www.bumpiingtours.com - yes, those 2 i's belong there. He's a fantastic young man who runs a very professional tour business. You work out the details of what you want via email, he and his crew meet you right off the ship at the end of the pier. You then pay him in cash the agreed upon amount (ours was $60.00 for almost all day) and get set for an absolutely wonderful day. We did Trafalgar Falls, Emerald Pool, and snorkeled Champagne Reef. There are quite a few write-ups here on TA - just search bumpiing tours.

Sacramento...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting off Cruise ship in April...Need help on what to do:)

Go to a beach!

The shopping is okay, but the beaches are fantastic. Magens is arguably the prettiest beach, but the snorkeling is disappointing. Coki beach has great snorkeling, and you can walk to the Coral World Marine Park.

For more ideas, grab a copy of my e-book On the Hard in Paradise (at smashwords.com) about a year I spent living on St. Thomas.

Bon Voyage.

Connie

Southfield, Michigan
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting off Cruise ship in April...Need help on what to do:)

This is a forum for Dominica, the preceding post is about St. Thomas.

Anyone going to Dominica for beaches and/or shopping will leave disappointed. There is a reason it's callled the Nature Isle.

Dominica
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting off Cruise ship in April...Need help on what to do:)

I agree that Levi of Bumpiing Tours is an excellent guide. If you want to see the island without waiting in line with others from your ship, should get skip Trafalgar Falls, Emerald Pool, Titou Gorge, and Champagne Beach. Instead, try Middleham Falls or Sari Sari Falls which tend to be less crowded. Or try a beach in the north in Calibishie. The Carib Territory is a nice place to go (check out Barana Aute: the Carib Model Village) for some culture and history. Or go to AL Dive just south of the capital and ask them to take you snorkeling somewhere where there won't be tourists.

Paul Crask just wrote a handbook for cruise shippers who are docking in Dominica: http://tinyurl.com/3jlfxdf

Have a great trip!

Anna McCanse, author Dominica (Other Places Travel Guides)

http://tinyurl.com/3tu6tmv

12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting off Cruise ship in April...Need help on what to do:)

Paul Crask just wrote a handbook for cruise shippers who are docking in Dominica: http://tinyurl.com/3jlfxdf. I tried the link, but it is not functional. Do you have an update? I would love to have this. Thanks!

7. Re: Getting off Cruise ship in April...Need help on what to do:)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2017, 22:18
Get answers to your questions about Roseau