We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a taxi to tour Dominica

Which Roseau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria
Level Contributor
19 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a taxi to tour Dominica

We will be going to Dominica as part of a cruise in March 2013. Has anyone hiring a taxi to tour around, if so what was your impression, what is an appropriate amount to pay (or do they charge) and where would you recommend we go? We are there from 9:00am - 5:00pm so not a long time. We will be travelling with our teenage daughters so there will be four of us. I am also assuming we would need to pay them cash and would American money be approrpiate?

24 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a taxi to tour Dominica

We also will be there on a cruise, the Noordam, Mar 11 sailing. We also may be interested in hiring a taxi. Looks like a very pretty beach and good reviews on the food!! If you buy lunch($12.45 for 2), than you get the chairs and umbrella. :)

Victoria
Level Contributor
19 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a taxi to tour Dominica

We will be there on the 14th! From what I've read it seems that getting a taxi may be an option that would work.

Whitewater, Colorado
Level Contributor
37 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a taxi to tour Dominica

We took a 2-3 hour tour with Helen Alcendor, owner/operator of My Sister Tours (Helen likes to be called "My Sister") and truly enjoyed the experience. My Sister is VERY knowledgeable about Dominica and readily shared lots of information about her beautiful island during the tour, including lots of info on local flora & fauna. My Sister stated she is the only female tour/taxi operator on the island. She owns a late-model Toyota van in excellent condition and her tours are very affordable--US money readily accepted too. We highly recommend My Sister if you are interested in a taxi tour of Dominica.

Contact info:

email: mysistertours@hotmail.com

web site: www.mysistertours.com

phone (USA): 1 (646) 499-4625

Edited: 01 March 2013, 15:58
Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a taxi to tour Dominica

Thanks, just e mailed her to see about pricing. Hoping she would do a personal tour for 2 people. We just want to do a little site seeing and go to Mero beach, have lunch then head back to our ship.

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
764 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a taxi to tour Dominica

You will have a wonderful experience with the most knowledgable tour guide on the island. He did the driving and coordinating for Pirates of the Caribbean when they filmed there. He is the best. Contact info : jenna23dm@ yahoo.com

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
764 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a taxi to tour Dominica

Oops, the tour guide I refer to in my post is Jenner Robinson.

Roseau, Dominica
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a taxi to tour Dominica

Another great guide is Woody who operates 'Off the Beaten Track Tours' and will take you to some great places - he knows his stuff and is a great guy. http://woodydominica.com/ Woody@WoodyDominica.com

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiring a taxi to tour Dominica

What would be the cost of hiring a taxi for the day in Dominica (for 2). 5 - hours?

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
764 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiring a taxi to tour Dominica

Our charge was $10 per hour. Well worth it.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiring a taxi to tour Dominica

Thank you.

What did you do for your day and do you have a contact for the taxi?

Reply to: Hiring a taxi to tour Dominica
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted