We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi tour

Which Roseau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
taxi tour

We are looking for recommendations. We are in Dominica in march for a cruisestop, one day. We intend to hire a taxi driver to give us a tour for about 3 to 4 hours. We would like to see the Emerald Falls or the Transfalgar falls and some other stops.

1. Is there anything nearby on the tour where we could go, nice sceneriestops, a bit away from the typical touriststops. Is there a scenic tour which is doable in 4 hours? How much would a taxi or a tour cost for 4 hours. Any other recommendations?

2.How far is the Cabrits park away from Roseau? Is it worth to go there for a trip?

Thanks for any recommendations

1. Re: taxi tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 02:54
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi tour

Thanks a lot. I am gonna take a look

3. Re: taxi tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 02:54
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi tour

I was in Dominica on 30 December on a cruise ship stop. My daughter arranged a trip with Jenna Robinson (male).e-mail is jenna23dm@yahoo,com . He took myself and a friend to the Emerald Pool, the Carib Territory and the Carib Eco Village, which was very interesting, the Botanic Gardens and Morne Bruce (a view site overlooking Roseau). The whole trip was approximately 5 hours starting a 9 am, as Jenna aims to get you to the sites before the tours arrive. We had the Emerald Pool almost to ourselves. He is very knowledgeable about the island and its fauna and flora. I can thoroughly recommend Jenna for an interesting tour. He is a very safe driver. The cost for the tour was 150 USD plus 5 USD for the Emerald Pool and 10 for the Carib Heritage village. I hope you have an enjoyable time in Dominica, I found it the most unspoilt of all the islands I visited. Regards Suzanne Coleman

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi tour

Thanks a lot, we are thinking about going to the Emerald pool and then to the cabrits park, Fort Shirley to stay there for a bit. Does anybody know how much time this would take, we want to be around for 4 hours, but not sure if it is doable in this time

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi tour

I don't think it can be done in 4 hours. The roads on Dominica are metalled, but not up to the standards we have in UK. I suggest you contact Jenna Robinson for advice on jenna23dm@yahoo,com. He did all the transport requirements for the filming of Pirates of the Caribbean when it was filmed on Dominica. He is a careful and safe driver.

I'm sure you will enjoy the island.

Regards

Suzanane Coleman

Southfield, Michigan
Level Contributor
247 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi tour

I would allow a minimum of 1 hour travel time between Roseau and Portsmouth/Cabrits at non-peak hours. Stuck in traffic? Add more time. You might be surprised how long 1 truck will block traffic in any particular community along the way(personal experience). In many communities, there is no viable alternate route.

Add to that, the Emerald Pool is not along the way to Cabrits.

Travel on Dominca roads is very deceptive. By the time you add up all the curves and hills, the straight line distance has doubled! There were only a few stretches of road were I was able to safely (and illegally) drive 40 mph.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi tour

Thanks again, so this means, if we want to go to the cabrits park, we better just go there, not sure if it worth to go there, the pictures look nice

Southfield, Michigan
Level Contributor
247 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi tour

I've been there. Not worth it given your time constraint. The best sites for day trips are the ones you read about. They're within reasonable drive time of Roseau.

There are some nice beaches and other attractions in the north and northeast of the island. But they simply are too far away for a relaxing day trip from the cruise docks at Roseau.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: taxi tour

Thanks a lot,we will consider this and just stay in the area