We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whale watching in the dom rep

hampshire
Level Contributor
194 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
whale watching in the dom rep

hii am thinking of going to the dom rep next year.. has anybody been recently and have you been whale watching of samana.. not sure where to stay in dom rep,any ideas..thanks

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whale watching in the dom rep

Samana itself is nice and that makes it easy to go whale watching.

You can get day trips from Puerto Plata but it's a very early start (about 5:30am IIRC).

Cabarete is my favourite place and is closer than PoP, so in my biased opinion, that's the place to stay!

I've been whale watching three times and loved it every time. Personally, I'd advise people to arrange their own transport to Samana and then book with Kim Beddall http://www.whalesamana.com/ Kim is a real environmentalist, not just in it to earn a living, so if you want to see AND learn, Kim's trips are the ones to go on. When I last went, I negotiated with a local taxi driver to take me from Cabarete and wait, then bring us back, for US$100 (for three of us) then I think it was $50 with Kim, so $80 return for the trip each. We stopped on the way back at a Dominican "cafe" (if I could call it that!) and bought our driver his lunch (chicken, rice & beans obviously!)

One of my whale photos from a previous trips

…flickr.com/171/366959507_f974e1c9de_o.jpg

hampshire
Level Contributor
194 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whale watching in the dom rep

thanks for the reply.. just one more question what month did you go whale watching in samana,thanks

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whale watching in the dom rep

The whales turn up from late December to mid January. I'd advise you go last week in January & first in February to be sure of being there at a peak time. Besides, that's a great time to escape from the UK! They are there until late February/mid March.

4. Re: whale watching in the dom rep

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 15:20