We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort is preferred and why?

Lancaster, OH
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort is preferred and why?

We are leaving in THREE days for our first trip to DR. We're on a 'square deal' package from Apple-we are gtd one of the four golden apple resorts - Dreams, Iberostar Bavaro, Paradisus, or Riu Palace -We are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and were hoping for no kids, but this package 'surprise' deal was too good of a 'deal' to pass. I hope that we're not disappointed. We've been to Riveria Maya and Jamaica, but never DR. I've been reading several comments on each resort. You can get poor service or food anywhere. I'm just hoping the overall experience is good - looking for beautiful, water, weather, and drinks!!! Thanks,

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort is preferred and why?

For me, the best resort is... not being on a resort!

We stayed AI when we first three trips to Dom Rep, then the fourth was an AI but only because it was a great deal and in Cabarete, which I particularly wanted to be in. We'd have breakfast in the resort but that was about it, other than that we were generally out & about. In Cuba, we were AI for the first week, then Havana, non-AI for the second. The second week was more interesting.

I fully understand why people do the AI bit but I do think it's a shame that so many people then become tied to the resort and never venture out. I speak practically no Spanish, but (for example) I've used public transport to go to Santo Domingo from the noth coast. That type of experience is what makes travel fun for me and with a sensible attitude, you can have a great time and meet some really decent people.

So I'd always avoid a resort from now on as far as possible.

2. Re: Which resort is preferred and why?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 15:20