We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

D.R. or Jamaica

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
867 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
D.R. or Jamaica

I am still looking at where to go this March.

My husband and I are 40-somethings who like a nice beach, snorkeling, plus some on land activities like the river rafting and waterfalls we see are available in both Jamaica and D.R.

We may try an A.I. this time, although we usually don't go that route.

I have posted this same question on the Jamaica forum.

I always trust T.A. for advise before I plan a vacation.

Anyone that has been to both islands, your input would be helpful.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
867 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: D.R. or Jamaica

This got buried and I didn't get an answer, so I'll repost!

I asked the same question in the Jamaican forum. The responses over there are coming up in favor of Jamaica. Want to give this forum a fair chance....

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Foxboro, MA
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: D.R. or Jamaica

I have been to both and I am not a big fan of either of them. Both have excellent AI's at affordable prices. Both have great beaches and both have a high poverty rate. We have stayed on more than 20 islands and consider Jamaica to be the only dangerous one that we have visited. I am sure the fans of Jamaica would disagree but we have witnessed it first hand. We prefer Antigua or Barbados. Even Grenada if you want a real island vibe without the violence.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Pelham, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: D.R. or Jamaica

Went to Jamaica last February, returning in three weeks to DR for 2nd time. As Foxboro says, both have great beaches and high poverty. I have been to many islands (Antigua and St.Maarten my favorites). The only time I truly felt unsafe off the resort was in Jamaica. You are approached by almost everyone on the street to sell you something ("Hey mon anything you need"). Too bad because it is one of the more lush islands I ever visited.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,774 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: D.R. or Jamaica

Jamaica to me screams river rafting and waterfalls, although as you said both are options in both places.

I enjoyed my time on each island for different reasons. The area I stayed in in Jamaica was more remote, which I loved. Punta Cana is a really huge tourist strip, but the beach is the nicest I've ever seen!

I liked the food, music and vibe of Jamaica better than the Dominican.

The people in DR are more agressive than the people in Jamiaca in approaching you to buy & do things. Don't get me wrong, they are aggressive in Jamiaca too, but left you alone once you said "no".

Yes there's violence in Jamiaca, I also witnessed it first hand. (Note to the previous poster- crime is really rampant in Antigua too but it's a gorgeous place I agree) You will also be approached by people selling marijuana often in Jamaica.

Darn, I really haven't been much help! I like them both! Flip a coin?? ;)

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
867 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: D.R. or Jamaica

Funny thing, I was down to Antigua, Barbados, Jamaica, or D.R.!

Antigua and Barbados are more flat, right? I'm forgetting my research, now.

It may come down to the flights. We fly out of Syracuse and want to use USair because of vouchers. We have terrible service from Syracuse.

Thank-you all for the help. I'll let you know.

My husband says I am obsessed with this site. Happens every year...

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Foxboro, MA
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: D.R. or Jamaica

As you can tell from my previous post, I am not a big Jamaica fan. We have stayed at all three major areas in the DR. Our favorite was La Romana. Punta Cana was decent but like many others had some food issues. We did not like Puerto Plata, major poverty and just o.k. beaches. La Romana(Iberostar Hacienda)was a decent blend of great beach and good accomodations. Good luck in your decision.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
La Romana
La Romana
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
10,305 Reviews
Dominican Republic
7. Re: D.R. or Jamaica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 20:16