We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Or South ?

North East Uk
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
North Or South ?

We are looking to go to the dom rep for the first time in a couple of weeks time, mid 40's no kids, We like sunshine, good beach, a few bars and shops, Is the north or the south better, Thank you.

argentina
Level Contributor
9,287 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Or South ?

Hi Mettca:Are you looking for the paradise? It is absolutely in Bayahibe,I recommend you this place in Dom Republic bathed by the caribbean sea.Good Lucky Silvia.(I was there on june).

argentina
Level Contributor
9,287 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Or South ?

I forgot tell you I was in Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus,the best.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Or South ?

Depends upon a few things.

First off, budget. East coast (Bavaro etc) is a lot more expensive than the North coast (twice the price almost). Is it twice as good? For some people yes. When I used to go All Inclusive, I felt I'd rather do two, two week holidays per year to the North Coast than one 'top quality' holiday to the East. If you want AI and you aren't planning on going off the complex much/on your own and money isn't an issue, then the East coast has true white beaches and blue sea as well as a higher standard of hotels.

Beach bars etc consider not going A.I. The Dom Rep is easy to 'do your own thing' despite the AI being most popular from the UK. Sosua & Cabarete are the most popular 'non-AI' destinations. They are both on the North coast, about 8 miles away from each other. Cabarete is my favourite (I'm 42 yr old so also 'mid 40's, no kids). The beach is a bit windy especially in the afternoon, which attracts the kite surfers, which I love watching. A good selection of bars & restaurants on the beach including a couple of a quality which is of UK standard. There are plenty of hotels or you could rent an apartment, so anything from US$40 per night up.

Sosua has probably a better beach/bay but for me, the town itself is just not as 'cool' as Cabarete. Again, a good selection of hotels and very popular with tourists.

I'm in the process of uploading a load of photos from my last trip to Cabarete from late Oct/early Nov '08, including (soon) some photos from the Cabarete Jazz festival.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iom_keith/

I'd promised some of the people in the photos that I'd make them available for them. As I'm going back on Wednesday, I thought I'd better get on with it! LOL!

North East Uk
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Or South ?

Thank you for the info, We will have a look on the web, Thank's.

5. Re: North Or South ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 05:28