We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thomson cancelling 2009 flights from newcastle

uk
Level Contributor
597 posts
Save Topic
thomson cancelling 2009 flights from newcastle

I heard someone say today that thomson are cancelling the flight to dom rep in 2009 due to low capacity. Has anyone else heard this?

Blyth, United...
Level Contributor
330 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thomson cancelling 2009 flights from newcastle

I don't know what the reason is but my daughter was trying to book a holiday to the DR for later in the year and couldn't find any flights from Newcastle. She went to the Thomson shop and they confirmed that flights from Newcastle were being pulled but they couldn't give a reason.

Seems a shame as the flights were always well used. From what I can gather all Thomson long haul from Newcastle have been pulled so there's definately something up.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
42,000 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thomson cancelling 2009 flights from newcastle

Just like First Choice pulled out of Bristol.Could'nt believe that when it happened as the Bristol flights were always packed and holidays fully booked very early. Even though we had to fly to Manchester for a stop of 1 hour.

uk
Level Contributor
597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: thomson cancelling 2009 flights from newcastle

I think cancun flights from newcastle are still ok, you can still book them from the thomson website, and they are still on the newcastle airport timetable - the dom rep and cuba ones have been removed from the timetable

cleveland
Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: thomson cancelling 2009 flights from newcastle

It's not only Thomson that have pulled the Dom flights, so have Thomas Cook, apparently due to airport costings, we now have to go to Manchester.

Mary

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thomson cancelling 2009 flights from newcastle

I hope TC don't pull the flight from Gatwick to POP on Sunday 3rd May.

I was wondering whether the reason behind Thomson / First Choice pulling flights was that their holidays are far more expensive than TC for the same hotel / dates to most caribean / mexico resorts.

So with people watching costs now, holiday makers are comparing cost more and flocking to TC. I must admit that this was the reason we went for TC this year - we have never done long haul with TC before. But the saving (when we booked in August 08 for May 09) was over £400 in all.

It is annoying for regional passengers - as not only do they have the inconvenience of flights being cancelled but increased costs due to petrol / parking / hotels etc to get to main hubs like Gatwick and Manchester.

So I guess the real reason for pulling the flights at the moment is the tour operators trimming their costs.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: thomson cancelling 2009 flights from newcastle

pure speculation here...

The only time I flew Thomson out of Newcastle, the flight was actually operated by Monarch (who are appalling!) Monarch are now (I think) part of the Thomas Cook group, so perhaps that is also tied in with the decision?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: thomson cancelling 2009 flights from newcastle

Hmm could be.

Come to think of it - I wonder what happened to all Excels Aircraft when they went to the wall ?

8. Re: thomson cancelling 2009 flights from newcastle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 05:26