We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominican-Atlantic side or Caribbean side????

london
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
Dominican-Atlantic side or Caribbean side????

Hi Everyone AGAIN!

I'm going to be booking very soon now to go 2nd week september for 14 nights and just wanted to ask final questions!

A friend has told me it would be better to go to the caribbean side (La Romana/Bayahibe/etc..) as the beaches are much better and the sea is alot calmer however, I am noticing it to be much more expensive.

I've been offered a pretty good deal for Bahia Principe San Juan in the Northern Region however, the same friend of mine said that as it is the Atlantic Ocean on that side, the water is really cold (probably not swimable) and the beaches not as great.

Any input please!

Thanks, Eva

Mentioned in this post
La Romana
La Romana
Dominican Republic
Bayahibe
Bayahibe
Dominican Republic
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,074 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dominican-Atlantic side or Caribbean side????

Depending on what you are looking for in your beach, I believe that any except those on the Caribbean will pale in comparison. Some people do swim from all beaches everywhere. I don't want to contend with waves and a bunch of seaweed. I am looking for a beautiful white sandy beach, facing the sun to the south, clear calm water with snorkeling from the beach, water aerobics in the ocean--not the pool, and perfect Caribbean colours. I too have to pay a lot more to travel to the Caribbean coast but for me it is worth it. I know what I would be missing. I am saving money in the end to be able to snorkel for free compared to paying for an excursion every day. There are excursions on the south coast which when I choose to take them, save me hours a day in bus travel (Saona Island and Santo Domingo). This is all worth money to me too.

I will be visiting the Caribbean coast for as long as I am able to get there from here!

Kaki

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Saona Cafe, Restaurant & Bar
Saona Cafe, Restaurant...
686 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Cabarete, DR
Level Contributor
223 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dominican-Atlantic side or Caribbean side????

Hi Eva!

I am biased, as I live on the North Coast, but the beaches here are awesome.

The water is warm, totally swimable...

The beaches are different, a bit more "wild" but you still have white sand and palm trees, and turqouise water, esp. out by the Bahia Principe, which I think is close to Playa grande.

Go for the North Coast, you will not be disappointed!

Mentioned in this post
Playa Grande
Playa Grande
244 Reviews
Dominican Republic
london
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dominican-Atlantic side or Caribbean side????

Hi and thank you both for your replies.

I have booked last night and chosen the South area for the caribbean sea especially as I have done 2 other caribbean holidays previously and the caribbean sea was beautiful on both (think I'll stick with what I know) and also, I have the little one with me so would prefer calmer waters and snorkelling! well both of us love it so seems we've chosen the best part....

Again thanks for your input!

Eva